Rclone on termux - Turn your android phone into a media server

i have created a short wiki how to use your cellphone as media server.

please check it out.
if you have any questions, comments or suggested changes to the wiki, please post here and i will respond.

4 Likes

Nice one :slight_smile: I edited it to make the links clickable.

I :heart: termux - so nice for phone automation!

thanks,

about the wiki, it main page is basically blank.
a user has to hunt to find topics,
"See the links to the right for the pages of useful content!"
and the links to the right show only a subset of posts.

is there a way to display them on the main page, like most wikis.
or to organize them in some way?
is that is possible, if so, i could try to do that.

also, the wiki is not very friendly to create a wiki.

1. no preview.
  2. no way to paste an image.
    is there a way to tweak that?

That would be great! It really needs someone to make the first page into more of a directory of what pages are available.

If you click on the edit icon

It should take you to a edit page which has preview and you can upload images - that is how I edit wiki pages

You make links to other pages like this

[Serve](https://github.com/rclone/rclone/wiki/%22serve%22-to-Another-Computer)

well, i do not want to make a mess of the current wiki,
can you setup a wiki 2.0 page and i can work on that.
if and when it is ready, after user feedback then
perhaps, perchance maybe, we can turn that into the main wiki page.

You could fork it. Kind of.

Why don't you just create a new page "Proposed Front Page" or something like that then we can copy and paste it into the real front page when you are done.

How many staff and interns do you use to create and maintain the rclone wiki? 25? 30?
:partying_face:

:slight_smile: I have a unknown number of very skilled volunteers who love writing docs and correcting my spelling mistakes!

3 Likes

I recently came across this project which helps generate sidebars for the Github Wiki, which could help with making the wiki a bit easier to navigate.

2 Likes

Nice one - thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

in the past, it was possible to use google play to install termux.
now the recommend way is to use f-droid.

so i have updated my wiki

https://github.com/rclone/rclone/wiki/turn-your-android-phone-into-a-media-server

if you have any questions about rclone on termux, please let me know.

2 Likes

when I try to turn on the dlna server as in step 5 I get this message on the gateway

2024/01/15 13:10:04 NOTICE: Config file "/data/data/com.termux/files/home/.config/rclone/rclone.conf" not found - using defaults
2024/01/15 13:10:04 Failed to create file system for "remote:": didn't find section in config file

so is it still necessary to install something to turn the Android into a media server, or is it possible to enable a file server in the terminal using pm2 using another method if the gateway has too much unused memory

welcome to the forum,

where are the files located?
need to change remote: to point to the location of the files.

if the files on the local device, then something like
rclone serve dlna ~/path/to/files -vv

1 Like

Could you please modify the instructions e.g. point 4 with more details for the likes of me because after typing this in the console

2024/01/16 08:49:55 DEBUG : rclone: Version "1.65.1-termux" starting with parameters ["rclone" "serve" "dlna" "/data/data/com.termux/files/home/path/to/files" "-vv"]
2024/01/16 08:49:55 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "/data/data/com.termux/files/home/path/to/files"
2024/01/16 08:49:55 NOTICE: Config file "/data/data/com.termux/files/home/.config/rclone/rclone.conf" not found - using defaults
2024/01/16 08:49:55 INFO  : Local file system at /data/data/com.termux/files/home/path/to/files: poll-interval is not supported by this remote
2024/01/16 08:49:55 DEBUG : 4 go routines active
2024/01/16 08:49:55 Failed to dlna: listen tcp4 :7879: bind: address already in use

So what should I do next to be able to run a upnp dlna server?

You have another program (maybe another rclone instance) already running and using this port.

The first time you call this command, there is something like this in the console

@asdffdsa And what should I do now to add this to pm2 since it started?

Use it?

All looks correct and is up and running. Your dlna server is serving content of your local folder /data/data/com.termux/files/home/path/to/files