429 google drive errors back for anyone using Hetzner, even with cloudflare or google dns used?

You can resolve the DNS name to find them yourself:

nslookup www.googleapis.com

Yes, thanks, I did this from another PC, but I couldn't find those IPs that Burke indicated.

Looks good at my site... My hetzner server is working again with the hosts entries...

With these entry's we are all connecting to these Google servers now... So it's a question of time when google is blocking us on these servers too, right?

Hello!

I made the changes to the /etc/hosts file earlier today and it was working fine for a bit. Now its again giving me the same error.

Currently when I run nslookup www.googleapis.com I get the below output.

Server:         127.0.0.53
Address:        127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   www.googleapis.com
Address: IPValue

No issues here since I blocked www.googleapis.com in the host file

Can you share your hosts file? redacted ofcourse

Yeah sure. You just paste the googleapis ip's at the end of whatever is in there

root@Ubuntu-2204-jammy-amd64-base ~ # cat /etc/hosts
### Hetzner Online GmbH installimage
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost mydomainname.com
x.x.x.x Ubuntu-2204-jammy-amd64-base
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
x:x:x:x:x Ubuntu-2204-jammy-amd64-base
142.250.113.95 www.googleapis.com
142.251.16.95 www.googleapis.com
172.253.63.95 www.googleapis.com
142.251.111.95 www.googleapis.com
142.251.163.95 www.googleapis.com
142.251.167.95 www.googleapis.com
142.250.74.78 www.googleapis.com
2 Likes

does anyone know if you can then go back to the original hetzner dns servers with this hosts file ip fix?

i know it doesnt make sense (all i can guess is the cloudflare/google dns servers are sending me to servers farther away of googles?) but speed is slower without the hetzner dns's : ) : (

been meaning to test it but havent wanted to mess with it till no one is watching plex...

Why don't you try, it's only DNS won't affect Plex

not worried about plex... but google drive to plex.... and unsure if that'd f plex's availability to pull from google drive?

It seems to work.

Here is a quick snippet I made to automatize the changes :

#!/bin/bash
grep -v 'www.googleapis.com' /etc/hosts > /tmp/hosts
for i in $(dig www.googleapis.com +short); do echo $i www.googleapis.com >> /tmp/hosts; done
mv /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.save
mv /tmp/hosts /etc/hosts

4 Likes

This fix by adding to /etc/hosts also fixed it for me, im on a Hetzner server

Thanks for this.
I tried this but it doesn't seems to fix the issues for me at the moment. Tried Google and Cloudflare DNS.

I can confirm it's affecting the Hatzner DNS servers too, I tried to go the cloud flare route the first time it happened but couldn't get my containers to pick up the new DNS so I flicked between the two as and when I needed to which was a right ball ache then it resolved its self so the Hetzner DNS started working just fine

I'm facing this issue but adding to /etc/hosts doesn't work for me.

I appreciate it has all the hallmarks of a DNS issue however I'm leaning more toward someone on the Hetzner network is making a Sh*te load of API calls and getting the public-facing IPs for the entire platform blocked hence why we are all seeing it, just my 2 cents worth

1 Like

Can also confirm that when using Cloudflare DNS over Google or Hetzner, movies barely loads on Plex/Jellyfin.

Maybe contacting Hetzner resolve the issue ?
I opened a ticket on google so to see if there is issue with them or if they have a better fix :slight_smile:

Don't forget to open tickets at Hetzner and Google they need to find a fix for those who want to upload backups, and others files, but if there is someone "Downloading the internet entirely and moving it to google drive well they need to isole him and take an action"

For those who use it in a resonable way i think /etc/hosts will work .

I have updated my k8s stack so backups can move smoothly i only send 10 files per day not much less than the upload daily limit 750gb maybe 50gb-60gb, but i got this issue also even moving 10 files per day wish is really reasonable, btw if someone has contacted google or hetzner with a definitive fix i'm open to receive the propositions or i also want to know wath both said :slight_smile:

Contacted google and it says someone is using hetzner to spread/make an attack to google api, the good way to fix will be to contact hetzner to get a touch with the person making this kind of massive requests, in old time i have see people using goog drive api to send many data to it and that people never got that issue, so for sure there is something to do to stop this attack.

If someone as time or are not busy please use my screenshot as i allow it and report to Hetzner that google is baning the IP of Hetzner causing issues on google api and not able to allow systems to work correctly to upload data .

We need a serene network to prevent this kind of things, and only reporting massivily to hetzner and google will make it change the things.

Just to inform my stack and i'm sure at 99% that my stack is different from anyone else here, as i use k8s btw it will be nice if someone can relate or make thing change to work like before.

Changing /etc/hosts works but if google change their records on the Domain everyone is on the dark.

maybe duckduckgo dns ?
or something else ?

i get this Error too.
using a Dedicated root server from Hetzner.
BUT:
I get this error on my Debian VM.
i use an other VM, hosted on the same Server with the same outgoing IP Adress but running Windows. And there i'm able to upload files to google drive.