OneDrive + WebDAV: 413 Request Entity Too Large

I got this error for a file size of 3.7 GB. I did not get it for a 480 MB file. I'd love to know what the limit is without having to experiment, since I have a ton of files in that range. Does anyone have experience with this on OneDrive?

I looked at:

and ran rclone lsf webdav: -vv --dump headers but don't see what WebDAV server it is running (I'd bet it would be homegrown) or anything else useful there.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of Onedrive server are you using?

Have you tried a plain upload with rclone to onedrive? Does that work?

Thank you for the pointer. I'm using Onedrive via WebDAV with the crypt backend. I tried your suggestion and ran into the same issue, which prompted me to investigate outside rclone.

On further investigation, something strange happens: when I upload large files, my network behaves strangely: it doesn't disconnect, but pings to the WAN don't work any more. Pings to the LAN, inbound and outbound work fine, I can ssh in, etc. A reset (down/up the network interface), or rebooting the router, or sometimes, simply waiting 1hr or more restores the connection.

This is specific to large files. I've uploaded tens of GBs of smaller files (<200MB) with no trouble whatsoever.

FWIW, I'm running rclone on a Linux box behind a router that is running dd-wrt. This setup has run without trouble for years.

This is obviously not an rclone issue. Sharing it here if anyone else finds it helpful. Thanks again for the response/pointer!

Ah! You might find setting a --bwlimit a bit less than your upload speed helps here so it doesn't fill your upload pipe.

Thanks!

I've already experimented with --bwlimit. Settings even way below my internet bandwidth and router bandwidth still don't solve this. My suspicion is on dd-wrt, possibly the router. I'm going to try a different router and/or a wired connection next.

As an unrelated aside, --bwlimit, and especially its day/time specification are super convenient!

1 Like

A wired connection resolved other network connectivity errors, and re-exposed the original issue in this thread, which seems unrelated to the connectivity issues. Running an rclone copy (v1.52.0) on a 3.7GB file on a raw Onedrive-via-WebDAV backend, I get:

2020/06/17 00:01:36 DEBUG : files.tar.gz: Need to transfer - File not found at Destination
2020/06/17 00:01:37 ERROR : files.tar.gz: Failed to copy: 413 Request Entity Too Large
2020/06/17 00:01:37 ERROR : Attempt 1/3 failed with 1 errors and: 413 Request Entity Too Large
2020/06/17 00:01:37 DEBUG : files.tar.gz: Need to transfer - File not found at Destination
2020/06/17 00:01:38 ERROR : files.tar.gz: Failed to copy: 413 Request Entity Too Large
2020/06/17 00:01:38 ERROR : Attempt 2/3 failed with 1 errors and: 413 Request Entity Too Large
2020/06/17 00:01:38 DEBUG : files.tar.gz: Need to transfer - File not found at Destination
2020/06/17 00:01:39 ERROR : files.tar.gz: Failed to copy: 413 Request Entity Too Large
2020/06/17 00:01:39 ERROR : Attempt 3/3 failed with 1 errors and: 413 Request Entity Too Large

Any pointers on where this limitation is coming from or how I can find out? Thank you!

This is an error from OneDrive itself. It has file size limits depending on what sort of onedrive it is and how you access it (which I don't know but I think you can look them up or ask your admin).

Good to know, thanks! This is a "Onedrive for business" on the "Office 365 A1" plan, and I'm told by the admin that there are no filesize limits they are aware of. I haven't tried to upload a large file via the Onedrive client, which may well succeed. Since it's a education related account, my only option to access it via rclone is to use WebDAV. Perhaps there is a WebDAV-related limit that no one is aware of.

From my experimenting using rclone's WebDAV (v1.52.0):
1GB file: uploads fine
1.9GB file: uploads fine
2GB file: Starts upload, but I keep getting an html page output saying: "failed to copy. This is a temporary issue, so try again in a few minutes."
3GB file: does not even begin to upload; gives "413 Request Entity Too Large" upfront

So 1.9GB seems like the limit. Time to use the chunking backend.

Quite possibly yes... Onedrive stuff is complicated with Onedrive/Onedrive for business/Sharepoint and Onedrive API access vs WebDAV access...

Probably the best plan!

You can set the chunk size to quite large (1GB) say so most files don't get chunked.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.