Beta Testing: WebGUI for rclone

What you do is use the explorer mode with a split window showing the remote and the local backend, then drag the directory from the remote to the local or vice versa - that should work.

1 Like

That worked. I guess I got too hung up on it saying "remote" that I didn't even think about it.

Thanks! I guess I can put rclone browser on the shelf for a GUI alternative. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is it possible to run the webgui on the same rclone instance as a mount?

For example if you wanted to run the underlying rc as part of a mount you would just use the --rc flag rather than rcd, so I assumed you could do the same for the webGUI - but if I add --rc-web-gui to a mount command I just end up with a 404 error on the webpage. The same works fine on rcd --rc-web-gui though.

I really want to avoid running two separate instances if possible. 2 access-points comes with a lot more potential for concurrency problems and general inefficiency.

Sorry if I have missed something earlier in the thread. I must admit I haven't read though everything from the start.

Yes it should work... I think you might need to set the flags as here: https://rclone.org/gui/#advanced-use

Has anyone set this up behind nignx? I'm trying to set it up in a subdomain, i.e. rclone.domain.com. The site prompts for login but then when the page loads it just shows "404 page not found"

server {
    server_name    rclone.domain.com;

location / {
        proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:5572;
        proxy_set_header Host $host;
        proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
    }

}

Your config looks about right...

Do you see the requests arriving at rclone? Increase the logging verbosity with -vv and see what rclone logs.

It was actually working correctly, just had some browser cache issues getting in the way. Thanks for your quick reply @ncw

1 Like

I still had some big problems getting the webUI to work on my regular mount. It seemed to start and even show up for a second, but then immediately show a "not found" if I refreshed or tried to navigate. Felt like it was crashing, but I had no way to check.

Meanwhile I could run something like
rclone mount myremote: X: --rc --rc-web-gui --user myuser --pass mypass
and it would work fine. via RCD command also.

So by (painful) trial and error of every variable I finally found the cause - but the cause make no goddamn sense to me:

--cache-dir "C:\rclonecache" ^

that spesific line makes the webgui crash (and it doesn't help if I try alternate paths, with or without quotes ect.) so it seems to be the flag itself somehow. The parameter has been working fine too - the webgui is just allergic to it somehow. It's nice to finally have it working, but I also kind of need that flag to work lol ...

Any other diagnostic I can help to provide about the problem so it gets fixed?

Is anything printed in the javascript console?

I suspect the backslash in that variable might be exciting javascript - can you try setting it without a backslash?

I will check java logs for you.
But how am I supposed to set a path on windows without a backslash? I guess I can test directly to F: , that's the only thing that comes to mind.

Java is aroused by that kind of thing? O_o ..... kinky
:stuck_out_tongue:

You can use / instead of \ and windows does the right thing I think.

He he.

To eliminate everything else - and to make it easier to reproduce - I will refer to simple one-line commands rather than using my regular scripts:

rclone mount TD1: Y: --rc --rc-web-gui --rc-user test --rc-pass test --cache-dir "C:\rclonecache"

Invalid chrome URI: / 2

Error: WebExtension context not found! 4 ExtensionParent.jsm:1239:13

rclone mount TD1: Y: --rc --rc-web-gui --rc-user test --rc-pass test --cache-dir "C:/rclonecache"

(note: reversed slash)

nsLoginManager: searchLogins: formActionOrigin or httpRealm is recommended LoginManager.jsm:467:13

Invalid chrome URI: /

rclone mount TD1: Y: --rc --rc-web-gui --rc-user test --rc-pass test --cache-dir "C:"

(note: also tried with no quotemarks just to be sure)

Error: WebExtension context not found! 2 ExtensionParent.jsm:1239:13

Error: WebExtension context not found! 2 ExtensionParent.jsm:1239:13

I'm not so used to working with the JSC, so I hope I caught the right things, but I'm fairly sure I managed to avoid confusing or missing any of what looks to be the critical errors at least.

Like before, everything works if I remove that spesific flag only, and at this point I can't make it any simpler I think.

I'm not sure what to make of this. The "invalid URI" error sounds related to what you suspected, but it fails even with it removed. I've tried using a non-system drive-letter too just to exclude any special windows protection of C:

Let me know if I can provide anything else that might be helpful.

I'm having trouble replicating this...

Can you replicate the problem with just rclone rcd?

What in the world? ... I am thoroughly confused now.

Now I can't replicate the error on the 2 first examples that I JUST tested (and those are verbatum copypastes of what I typed).

Third example still crashes.

Also, now this works:

rclone mount TD1: Y: --rc --rc-web-gui --rc-user test --rc-pass test --cache-dir "C:\rclonecache"

but not this

rclone mount TD1: Y: --rc --rc-web-gui --rc-user test --rc-pass test --cache-dir "E:\rclonecache"

but this version using rcd does work

rclone rcd --rc-web-gui --rc-user test --rc-pass test --cache-dir "E:\rclonecache"

even manually created the directory before running to check if that could possibly do something, but no. I haven't the faintest clue what could cause such behavior.

When I ran the test on RCD (first thing I did) I just got an update delivered though (edit: and just now again).
Stuff might be changing as we speak here?

update: and now after that second update this works now that didn't literally 2 minutes ago...

rclone mount TD1: Y: --rc --rc-web-gui --rc-user test --rc-pass test --cache-dir "E:\rclonecache"

albeit still with a webextension error

In my reguar script, this works (consistently) now:

--cache-dir "E:\rclonecache" ^

but not this (also consistently):

--cache-dir "E:\vfscache"

Incredibly weird bug, whatever is causing this...

unless you instruct otherwise I'm gonna pick this up again tomorrow and retest some stuff then in case the GUI code is actively in flux right now.

Anyone else getting multiple login prompts? Am I doing something wrong? I'm getting a basic auth login before the login form loads then I have to enter creds again, click verify, and then login. Seems overkill. Could this be simplified? I'm using htpasswd file.

I've seen this happen too - somewhat randomly. I am not sure what causes you to hit that double-login.
I guess you are first authenticating to the RC, and then to the web-gui

So there is something non-deterministic about this which will make it harder to track down. Maybe it is nothing to do with the flag, but it just goes wrong sometimes?

I am pretty sure it is deterministic.
The ones that work, work as many times as I test them (and I already wanted to check if it was random, so I did just that).
The ones that fail always fail.

Have I tested thousands of times to be statistically sure? Obviously not, but I probably did 30'ish total confirmation repeats of results because it was acting so weird.

I am pretty sure all the results were consistent and deterministic. The pattern of what fails and what doesn't on the other hand does seem rather random. I certainly don't see any obvious pattern of type of character reacted to.

As you see it's failing or succeeding based on replacing regular lowercase alphabet characters with other lowercase alphabet characters. And yes, I tested that for consistency a few times like everything else.

One thing you could try is installing the react developer tools - that is the way that you debug the web front end. That might tell you something interesting (or not!).

Not sure if this is the right place to ask or report, but just been trying this interface, which is very nice overall, but when I have 32 jobs running the "Progress" window exceeds the height of my browser window and I have no way of reaching the X to close it. Given the lengths of some of my paths this then covers most of the rest of the screen. Scroll bar doesn't affect the Progress pop-up/window.