Beta Testing: WebGUI for rclone

Probably the best thing would be to open an issue with a screenshot of the problem - thanks!

This is a minor annoyance for me too.

I would suggest we fix it by adding some basic filtering/sorting to what transfers are shown, so we can show the most relevant ones. if you are transferring hundreds of files you almost certainly are not interested in seeing all of them, and the smaller trivially sized ones are effectively just spam as you don't get any useful info from them showing up for a single update before they disappear.

I would suggest showing the 10 largest transfers. (because these non-trivial size files are probably the ones you care to look for in the first place).

and then a line at the end would say "+22 more" (or however many more there are) so the user understand the list is being truncated and it's not a malfunction.

Feel free to steal that suggestion for an issue :slight_smile:

I may try that when I have the time, to look for any obvious problems.

I just want to also add - I am having almost identical issue on a totally unrelated system (a windows server) running very minimal configuration - so it seems to not be some weird system-specific quirk.

Interestingly - on that system it is not reacting specifically to the --cache-dir line as it consistently does on my home system. Therefore I no longer think the error is directly related to that line, but instead "come combination of parameter factors". I've confirmed it works fine with RCD running standalone with only the required RC parameters (as expected). I haven't yet found the spesific line the server system is reacting to (as it requires hours of blind probing) but that might not be worth it to know if it's not consistent anyway.

BTW, what is the maintainance status of the WebGUI now?

Is the original author completely unavailable from this point and you have taken over maintenance?
Or does he have an interest in it still, but just has very limited time to invest in it now after his project time has expired?

Would be real nice if we could find some volunteer with react experience to head this project going forward. People with web-development experience shouldn't be too uncommon these days. I don't know if you have a lot of experience with this framework personally? You have enough on your plate already in any case :slight_smile:

@negative0 will be helping to maintain the project, but university has started now so he has less free time! I'll pitch in where I can, but I'm a relative n00b when it comes to react!

More contributors would be welcome :slight_smile:

Hey, sorry for the absence. Recently I fractured my left hand thanks to football.:sweat_smile:
Yesterday I have added a commit addressing the progress bar issue. I would also launch a release after some testing. You guys can also try it out and provide your suggestions.

As for the login the basic http login is deprecated by many of the Browser specs, hence the eerie behaviour. One of the solution will be to change the auth to something like JWT (Json web tokens). But, it will be a breaking change, or we can have it as an alternate auth method.

:frowning: Bad luck!

I don't want to break the seamless rclone rcd --rc-web-gui opens a logged in GUI - can we achieve that with JWT?

Ouch! Hope it's healing well.

When you are better (and you feel you have time) - if you have any interest in tracking down the weird crashing issue I describe a few post up then let me know and I will assist as best I can in collecting data ect. if you can describe to me what you need.

As mentioned I have two separate systems (win10 / Win2019ServerCore) affected by the same strange behavior. I've kind of found workarounds for my personal needs, so no urgency on my part - but I suspect this will generate a lot of "why isn't webUi working" questions from average users. Up to you though, no pressure. I'm very thankful for the work you put in so far.

Is there any way to run rclone as a daemon? Since we now have the webui, it would be awesome to just have an instance running and i.e be triggered (in my case, for backup once a day) instead of loading a completely new instance.

EDIT: Or run the WebGui as a daemon that "hooks" into the running rclone instance?

You can attache the web gui to an rclone running the --rc command, so if you run your backups with --rc then you can attach the web UI to it.

One thing related to this I am not completely clear on ...

Will the webGUI pick up on anything that passes through the related RC?
if so then you could just set your scripts to use RC commands rather than regular commands - could you not?

Then you will effectively never need more than one rclone instance (with an associated WebGUI)

It will pick up on some things but not everything.

That would work. However note there is only one set of global flags which is awkward if you need to run commands with different flags...

Maybe support for override flags in RC commands would be a nice idea...? I guess it depends if an rclone instance is married to it's settings or could handle pr-command flags.

I just wondered if that was a thing actually. If currently not then I agree that's a fairly big limitation.

I would like to fix the flags properly bit it needs some major surgery first!

Don't let my random brainstorming stress you. You've mentioned before it's going to be a lager overhaul to restructure that. Ideally in the long-term it would be cool if you could set flags on several levels:

• Pr. remote
  • Pr. rclone-instance
  • Pr command
    and then let them override each-other down the chain. That would provide an awful lot of flexibility.

But that's a topic for another thread. If you ever want to discuss that, I'm all game for bouncing ideas but I imagine you probably have a plan in mind :wink:

I have a vague plan, but it involves getting rid of a lot of global state which will be a lot of work!

JWT shouldn't break that. It wont be a noticeable change, but it can affect other tools using the basic http auth for which we can keep the JWT as optional and eventually make it de facto authentication for rclone rcd.

1 Like

Hi, is there any chance that i can change from copy to move instaed? Everytime when i upload it copies the files instead of moving. Is there a file i can edit to change?

No, but you first can copy to new cloud and after delete

You could hold down the Alt key to move instead of copy.