Win7 x86 failed to remove cache due to special character path names?

Win7 x86(32bit), rclone 1.56, WinFsp 2021.1 Beta 2, Google Drive,
I created the following folder through Google Drive web interface;

C:\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone

mount it using;

"C:\Program Files\rclone\rclone.exe" --vfs-cache-mode writes mount admin-rclone:/ e:

I hit the following error when I try to create a "New Text Document.txt" inside the folder created above;

PS C:\Program Files\rclone> .\rclone.exe --vfs-cache-mode writes mount admin-rclone:/ e:
The service rclone has been started.

2021/08/19 08:34:46 ERROR : backup/C:\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone/New Text Document.txt: vfs cache: failed to remov
e cache file as failed to stat cache file: CreateFile \\?\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\rclone\vfs\admin-rclone\backup\C:\U
sers\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone\New Text Document.txt: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect
.: remove \\?\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\rclone\vfs\admin-rclone\backup\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone\New Text Doc
ument.txt: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

2021/08/19 08:34:46 ERROR : backup/C:\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone/New Text Document.txt: vfs cache: failed to remov
e metadata from cache as failed to stat cache file: CreateFile \\?\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\rclone\vfs\admin-rclone\ba
ckup\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone\New Text Document.txt: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
incorrect.: remove \\?\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\rclone\vfsMeta\admin-rclone\backup\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone
\New Text Document.txt: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

e cache file as failed to load metadata: vfs cache item: failed to read metadata: open \\?\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\rc
lone\vfsMeta\admin-rclone\backup\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone\New Text Document.txt: The filename, directory name
, or volume label syntax is incorrect.: remove \\?\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\rclone\vfs\admin-rclone\backup\C:\Users\ki
t\AppData\Roaming\rclone\New Text Document.txt: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

e metadata from cache as failed to load metadata: vfs cache item: failed to read metadata: open \\?\C:\Users\tom\AppData
\Local\rclone\vfsMeta\admin-rclone\backup\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone\New Text Document.txt: The filename, direc
tory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.: remove \\?\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\rclone\vfsMeta\admin-rclone\backu
p\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone\New Text Document.txt: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is inc
orrect.

2021/08/19 08:34:46 ERROR : backup/C:\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone/New Text Document.txt: vfs cache: failed to open
item: vfs cache item: open mkdir failed: make cache directory failed: mkdir \\?\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\rclone\vfs\sy
s01-rclone\backup\C:: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

2021/08/19 08:34:46 ERROR : backup/C:\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\rclone/New Text Document.txt: Non-out-of-space error enc
ountered during open

2021/08/19 08:34:46 ERROR : IO error: cache open with O_TRUNC: failed to truncate: open RW handle failed to open cache f
ile: vfs cache item: open mkdir failed: make cache directory failed: mkdir \\?\C:\Users\tom\AppData\Local\rclone\vfs\sys
01-rclone\backup\C:: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Everything works fine after I rename/replace special characters ":" and "\" in the folder name with "_"

Like this;
C__Users_tom_AppData_Roaming_rclone

I wonder if there's any config that I can tweak to make it work or this is just the way it is, thanks.

Hi welcome to the forum!

It seems you have hit a known issue, unfortunately. Luckily there is a fix on the way.

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt reply and I'll wait for the fix to come.

Ah, foo, I need to review that! I'll do that now :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.