Way to copy files from a gsuite account to a team drive

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Good day,

I am trying to move away from an edu account to my own private GSuite. I am aware it will take a long time as there is a daily 1 TB download limit and a 750 GB upload limit per account but I still would like to find a way to not to relay all the data thru my home network but to do server side copies. Some time ago I could manage to share the source folder I wanted to copy, and on the target Drive I just added it as an alias. Then I could simply do:

rclone copy targetdrive:/SharedFolderFromSource targetdrive:/WhereIwantToCopyIt -P

And it worked. Though now I can see SharedFolderFromSource on the webui, but in rclone ls its fully empty. What can I do to avoid the reuoloading? Is there any flag to list shared aliases within directories?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Win 10 64 bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive, GSuite

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Not relevant

A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Not relevant

have you tried
https://rclone.org/drive/#drive-server-side-across-configs
and/or
https://rclone.org/drive/#drive-shared-with-me

The first flag doesn't seem to be useful when doing rclone lsd targetdrive:/SharedFolderFromSource for example and it's also empty. And I tried the second flag lf course, but even the lsd is empty then too. Though the shared and "mounted" folder contains many subdirectories.

It should be

rclone lsf remote: --drive-shared-with-me

That will show you shared stuff.

Tried that too, empty.

Does it matter that my targetdrive: is a teamdrive?

Are you sharing a folder or using a 'shared drive' (aka team drive).

Does this post help?

Are you able to share a TD into the edu account?
On many edu accounts you cannot create TDs but you can share from a GSuite into the edu acct.

If so, then:
Create a TD in your new GSuite.
Share that TD into your edu account (Add members, add your edu email ).
Repeat: Share the gsuite TD into your edu account.
From your edu account Drive UI you should then see the new TD.
In rclone create two remotes (name them whatever you like):

• edu_mydrive:
  • newgs_td:

Authorize both of these remotes using the same id and secret.
Authorize the edu account as you would normally, confirming in the browser with the edu account.
Authorize the TD in the same way - but be sure to CLICK ON THE EDU ACCOUNT in your browser.
Repeat: Do not auth the TD with your new gsuite. Auth it on the edu account. This is what enables server side copies and moves.

Once that is done you should be able to copy/sync/move server side from your edu My Drive to the TD.

Test it with a /test folder that has one or two small files in it.
rclone copy edu_mydrive:test newgs_td:test -vP --drive-server-side-across-configs=true

If you genuinely want to move you might find the fastest solution is to server side move everything from your My Drive to the TD. There is no quota (no 750GB limit) for server side moves.

rclone move edu_mydrive: newgs_td: -vP --drive-server-side-across-configs=true --fast-list --transfers=16

2 Likes

Nice write up.

My understanding is there is still a 750G limit.

Edit: I see. Move has no limits copy does.

Hi calisro,
Good to see you :wink: Yep. I wouldn't have written the whole shebang up if I wasn't sure. Have moved a few accounts from old to new using this methodology. Folder drag in the UI works as well, but usually not enabled in edu accounts.

Google seems to not care too much when simply changing pointers on the back end.

Would you mind adding a How To so I can sticky it? It seems to be a common question lately.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.