"Unlimited" alternatives to Google Drive, what are the options?

So am I. I'll just contact their service desk and see what they want.

Well, no. They put a stop to everyone, not just to the petabyte abusers.

And that's why everyone should have 2nd (and 3rd, and 4th) thoughts next time Google tries to sell anyone into spending time/effort/money into any of its products or services.

It's sad to see how miserably Google went from being the "We're Not Evil" company to the "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" company.

I myself don't spend another cent, microliter of sweat, or nanosecond of time in any of their products or services, ever again.

1 Like

The platform report will show api usage, but in the column marked as "chargeable", it should say no. During my trial of the cheapeast box.com unlimited plan, it had an api call of 50,000 and I jad my chunker set to 4.9gb. I have over 100,000 files uploaded and my API usage was 0. So it seems if you just use the regular box.com rclone setup, your using a public API that does not effect your monthly API calls.

Read my post above

Does anyone knows how long does Dropbox tolerates if you are 500x over your share limit? I was in an advanced group but got removed, and now I still have my files, rclone is also working (mount, delete, copy from it), but I have currently no subscription?! :wink:

That will change. The reports are easily 48hrs behind real life. I have 6TB uploaded to box, using slightly over 9K api calls.

What kind of upload speed were you getting? I have ~250TB to move and only getting ~25MB/s so it would take 4 months... When uploading to GDrive, I was getting closer to 100MB/s.

No, if your using the public box api, its not "chargeable". If you run a box report on "platform activity" you will see rclone is using api calls, but there will be a colum labeled "chargeable" and it will say not. Im on the lowest plan with 50,000 api call limit, with over 100,000 files and it shows no usage on mine. Thats with rclone hitting the api for each 32mb or 64mb chunk when it splits the upload, as well as with rclone chunker on @ 4.9gb, i have used way over 50,000 api calls, and my dashboard still shows 0 usage. I have a feeling its for "internal" box apps that you create a private api key, kind of like you use to do with Google.

I guess that's true. I have created several apps with oAuth and they show up as paid in the report. However, I had problems with rclone using Box's public API. After a few days the token expired and I had to re-authenticate. That's why I switched to oAuth.

You need to increase the simultaneous file transfer. I sync with 12 files and have just under 100mb/sec. The speed for single files is mostly only 10mb/sec.

If anyone of you wants to store it in google drive, please PM me. I still have space

Box doesn't have a public API like you're thinking as google does.
Regardless, section 25.1 of their TOS, which governs API calls is a bit of a difficult read.

"Monthly Platform API Calls" is any API call made by a Platform Application to the Service within a monthly calendar period on behalf of: (a) a Platform Application User; (b) a User; or (c) a Platform Service Account, not to exceed your allotted amount. Except as otherwise set forth in an order, excluded from Monthly Platform API Calls are API calls made on behalf of: (i) third party software application integrations that are permitted with your use of the Service; (ii) Box provided applications (e.g., the Box Web App, Box Desktop, Box Notes, Box Capture); (iii) Box provided services (e.g. Box Shuttle), if applicable. For clarity, any API calls resulting from a Platform Application will be considered chargeable if 95% of its Monthly Platform API Calls are used by you or on your behalf.

That seems pretty straightforward - rclone is a 3rd party, app, right? So it won't be charged, but the TOS doesn't define what a 'Platform Application' is..so if we hit 95% we will be charged?

i am definitely over the 95% even with the api hits marked as "paid" and nothing happens.

What flags are you using? I just tried a sync and I'm not able to get past 30MB/s.

Sounds like rclone does consume api hits and will be billed accordingly.

just "--transfers=10" behind the sync command.

That's what I tried but I can't get past 30MB. I ran a speed test and I'm getting 1Gb down and up. Not sure why I'm having a issue with speeds.

In no way I meant to justify the course of action they decided to undertake.

I actually despise them deeply, considering that the pattern of usage of my organization was far from abusive and yet it made absolutely no difference when compared to single accounts sharing petabytes of "stuff" with hundreds of paying (the single account owner, not Google) users.

1 Like

I used one of their "Storage boxes" a few years ago and performance was good, about LAN speed. But that was to a machine I had rented there at the time, so YMMV.

Where can you tell what your Dropbox storage limit is?

I'm currently trialing their service, and all I can see is this:

No reference to any storage limits