Unable to access the windows rclone mount from other computers

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

We have mounted a S3 bucket folder as network drive Y:\ . Mount is created by a scheduled task incorporated into the user_data script and runs as "SYSTEM". The mount is created fine and any domain joined user logging into the box are all able to access the "Y:" drive. Now the problem I face is to expose these drives to other computers on the network. Trying to access \\computername\FTDirect [ as per the command below] does not work. Most of the usual windows commands to set a net use / new-smbshare error saying its a redirected resource.

I have not pasted any logs as the mount is created fine.

Am I missing something simple ?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.55.1

• os/type: windows
  • os/arch: amd64

winfsp-1.9.2

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows Server 2016, x64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

AWS S3

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount "aws-dev:aws-dev/FTDirect" Y: --fuse-flag --VolumePrefix="\%COMPUTERNAME%\FTDirect" --config=C:\Temp\install\shares\rclone.conf

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[aws-dev]
type = s3
provider = AWS
region = eu-west-2
location_constraint = eu-west-2
acl = public-read
env_auth = true

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

You need to check out:

https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#mounting-modes-on-windows

hello and welcome to the forum,

on the server, you can share as many rclone mounts as needed

• rclone mount remote: B:\mount\rclone\remote
  • net share B:\mount\rclone

on the client

• net use x: \\servername\rclone\remote - change servername the name of the windows server.

Thanks for your reply @Animosity022. I have gone through this documentation before but I must have missed something. I will go through it again.

Thank you @asdffdsa . I see you are suggesting mount to a folder then share it. Where as I have used the "--fuse-flag --VolumePrefix=" which as per the documentation is similar to using "--network-mode" ? Which should already create a network share that should be accessible ?

Now, when i use this --volumeprefix and end up with the network drive I cannot use the net share / net use, it errors --"The operation is invalid on a redirected resource"

I will try to mount another S3 folder to a local folder and try to share that as per your suggestion.

my approach does not use those flags.

agreed @asdffdsa . And it looks simpler. I just tried it and I still am not able to share it. Throws "an error occurred while trying to share. The device or directory does not exist" But I can see the mapped drive fine. Digging a bit more now ...

do not net share the rclone mount point, that will not work.

instead, net share the folder one level up, which is a real folder and windows can net share it

post the exact commands and output.

1 Like

Hi,
Its finally working now. This is the command :

rclone mount "my-dev-bucket:my-dev-bucket/Ptal pradeep" X: --volname="Ptal Pradeep" --config=C:\Temp\install\shares\rclone.conf

Once the mount is in place the same task scheduler is running another action :
cmd.exe /c 'NET SHARE "Ptal Pradeep"=X:\ /GRANT:Everyone,FULL'

And its available for every other user on the network. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Kind regards,
Pradeep

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.