Sync to google drive = multiple duplicate folders

I've followed a few online guides on how to use rclone to backup a local folder to google drive. This works however subsequent backups instead of overwriting the destination directory on gdrive it instead creates another backup with the same folder name.

rclone sync --verbose ~/Backup/ gdrive:backup

which if ran 3 times results in:

gdrive:
/backup
/backup
/backup

Not really sure where i'm going wrong, none of the guides mention this. I've tried using the rclone copy cmd with the same results.

rclone v1.59.1

• os/version: arch "rolling" (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.19.5-arch1-1 (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: none

hello and welcome to the forum,

please post the redacted config file.

is the remote using a gdrive shared folder?

the issue of duplicate folders has been discused in the forum a number of times and there is a github issue.
https://forum.rclone.org/t/how-to-prevent-creating-duplicate-folders-in-google-drive-with-server-side-transfer/7278/3

Thanks for the reply. Redacted config below. It's not a shared gdrive shared folder and was created by rclone.

[gdrive]
type = drive
scope = drive.file
token = {"access_token":"..."}
team_drive =

ok.

i do not use gdrive much, not sure what the exact issue is.
tho i kinda, sorta, remember this issue being discussed in the forum.

fwiw, i would try to create a very simple example using debug output with -vv or --verbose

Thanks again for the reply. I was using --verbose, wasn't particularity enlightening tbh, just looked like a fresh sync was being done each time, no mention of an existing directory on gdrive.

Anyway I started trying a few things and decided to try syncing to a destination directory another level deep rather than at the gdrive root, so instead of /backup on gdrive as the destination I tried /backup/rclone and guess what, it now works as expected and no duplicate directories are created!

Looks like this could be a rclone bug? Anyway fingers crossed it's now sorted and thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.