Recommended Dropbox (Formally Google Drive) and Plex Mount Settings

Yea I'll go ahead and do that, thanks for going through the logs and helping me try and find a solution!

@Animosity022 not sure if you're monitoring this thread anymore but I'm in need of help before I kick the cat lol

I've got a pretty basic setup in terms of my server that I want plex to run on. It's basically going to act purely as the server to stream from my Google Drive. All the uploading is done elsewhere via a seedbox.

I'm running Linux Mint 19.2 at the moment.

I've worked through A LOT of guides to try and get this to work but not having much luck. So where I'm up to at the moment is.

rclone is installed and I can manually mount the remote by typing this rclone mount gdrive:TV/Chris /home/christof21/Media/ which result in the remote being mounted and being able to navigate it and play the content direct.

I've got PMS installed and this isn't able to add the media from the mount to the library for some reason. The mount is greyed out in the file selection list.

So couple of things.

1. how do I get the remote to mount on system start rather than manually having to do it?

2. how do I get PMS to actually be able to add the mount to a library?

Hope you can help. Thanks

@theglove have you tried adding the allow other command on the mount?

@Dimtar yeah I've already done that bit and uncommented it out.

Just been playing with the rclone.service script as that keeps failing as well and I can't find logs anywhere.

[Unit]
Description=RClone Service
AssertPathIsDirectory=/home/christof21/Media
After=plexmediaserver.service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount
--config=/root/.config/rclone/rclone.conf
--allow-other
--attr-timeout 1000h
--buffer-size 128M
--dir-cache-time 1000h
--log-level INFO
--log-file /opt/rclone/logs/rclone.log
--poll-interval 15s
--timeout 1h
--umask 002
--rc
--rc-addr 127.0.0.1:5572
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -u /home/christof21/Media
Restart=on-failure
User=christof21
Group=christof21

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

rclone.service - RClone Service
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/rclone.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2019-11-05 12:12:37 GMT; 9s ago
Process: 7961 ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount --config=/root/.config/rclone/rclone.conf --allow-other --attr-timeout 1000h --buffer-size 128M --dir-c
Main PID: 7961 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 05 12:12:37 chrisproxmox systemd[1]: rclone.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Nov 05 12:12:37 chrisproxmox systemd[1]: rclone.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Nov 05 12:12:37 chrisproxmox systemd[1]: Stopped RClone Service.
Nov 05 12:12:37 chrisproxmox systemd[1]: rclone.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Nov 05 12:12:37 chrisproxmox systemd[1]: rclone.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 05 12:12:37 chrisproxmox systemd[1]: Failed to start RClone Service.

@theglove I'm not sure as I don't know if you using my setup or not. If you have a question related to my settings, post here.

If the question is not directly related but something isn't working, you can start a new thread and use the question template and I'll be happy to help as that gets all the relevant information.

1 Like

On your config, I noticed you dropped the -vfs-read-chunk-size and -vfs-read-chunk-size-limit settings from your more recent mount config. What's the rationale behind that? Or were they never in there?

It was there at one point.

The reason a lot of things dropped is we made a lot of those things defaults in rclone so there is no need.

That flag is just the range request it sends to Google Drive for a range of data so the defaults are just fine for that as it limits the number of API hits to stream and gets more data per call as my use case is streaming via Plex so the pattern is almost always watching a TV show or movie in a linear fashion.

How are you handling Radarr when it comes to upgrading existing movies? Do you keep things full read-write and let Radarr delete directly off the rclone mount (via the mergerfs mount though). If you configure a recycle bin, how does that work? If Radarr deletes and recycles a file from the rclone mount, then it's "delete" would be copying down a potentially huge movie file to a local path.

Just curious how you're approaching that scenario.

That's why I use mergetfs as everything is written locally.

Once something is uploaded, it's just deleted from the mount, copied locally and uploaded later at night.

I do not use a recycle bin in Sonarr or Radarr.

Right, I'm using a similar setup. I'll describe the relevant details (made up paths for brevity's sake) and where I'm running into a snag. Well, not so much as snag as that I'm nervous that Radarr will attempt a mass-rename of my movie library or accidentally trash something.

• /merged/movies ( /radarr/movies=RW:/rclone/media/movies=RO )
  • rclone move /radarr/movies gcrypt:/media/movies (I run this every 5 minutes because I have a small staging drive, as opposed to once nightly)
  • rclone mounts as umask 022 so that radarr, sonarr, etc, can't delete off the mount

Radarr's root path for my movie library is mapped to /merged/movies. When I download a movie that I don't already have, Radarr is able to import the new movie to /merged/movies because it's writing to /radarr/movies. When I download a better version of a movie I already have, Radarr can't import it because while it can write to /merged/movies (RW on /radarr/movies), it doesn't have write access to /rclone/movies to delete the previous version. Radarr will throw up an error about a failed import. To get it to import, I just have to delete (as my rclone user) the old movie directory, at which point Radarr will import the new movie at the next completed download scan.

I can live with this setup for the safety aspect of nothing being able to delete from rclone, deletes only happen when I run a command. But I also want to know how others are doing this to see if there's perhaps a better way.

I'm not sure why not delete from rclone.

Worse case, it is in the Google Drive trash.

True, that's a fair point. Is there a topic or discussion you're familiar with that talks about how to move accidentally-deleted-files out of trash and back into the directory structure? Obviously with the web interface showing just the encrypted names, it could be a bit challenging.

@Animosity022 Thank you for your guide! I'm trying to replicate the same outcome on my Synology NAS, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to install mergerfs on a Synology. Any ideas or any other solution?

Love to help but I unfortunately have never used a Synology NAS so would not be sure offhand. You can always try to maybe post on their forums and ask.

Entware is the answer, install guide;

benba@nas:~$ ls /volume1/@Entware/opt/sbin
accessdb fsck.ext2 fsck.ext4 iotop mergerfs mkfs.ext2 mkfs.ext4 parted route tree
e2fsck fsck.ext3 ifconfig ip mke2fs mkfs.ext3 mount.mergefs partprobe screen vnstatd

benba@nas:~$ mergerfs --version
mergerfs version: merge-with-ng-573-gebfd464f-dirty
FUSE library version: 2.9.7
fusermount version: 2.9.4
using FUSE kernel interface version 7.19

How to use it;

2 Likes

I F****** LOVE YOU @benba ! You have no idea! I've been searching for a while for a solution or something similar to mergerfs and couldn't find anything and going crazy. Such a lifesaver! If you have Venmo or something I can throw a few bucks your way.

You're welcome, throw your bucks to ncw for his great work on Rclone :wink:

3 Likes

If you have a question regarding my settings, please use my thread.

If you have a question on a different guide and are having issues, please do not use this thread and create something else rather than hijacking this one.

So sorry.
I have created another thread a day ago but there was no reply, so I was hoping to get some answers from this thread.
Apology.

Ok this is helpful but way too geeky. Where can I get the exact steps to set this up so I can watch mkv files that are in my google drive via the Plex app on my Samsung TV?