Rclone takes a long time to launch

I'd suggest leaving at the default then.

--attr-timeout 1s sould be the default value if i understand?

If you remove it from the command line, it'll use the default value, which is what you said.

i understand i don't need to add --attr-timeout but Can it be useful to use it with a higher value?
for example to avoid IO

A very, very minor improvement and without knowing your use case and your flows, I would leave it at the default.

1 Like

Thank you for your help, I will try like this if everything looks good on your side!

[Unit]
Description=Gcrypt Daemon
After=syslog.target network.target

[Service]
User=jonathan
Group=jonathan
Type=notify
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount --allow-other --dir-cache-time 5000h --cache-dir=/mnt/eab0e7c5-12d4-44c2-b741-457f2314e840 --poll-interval 15s --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 3000G --vfs-read-ahead 256M --vfs-cache-max-age 5000h --vfs-read-chunk-size=64M --buffer-size=128M Gcrypt: /mnt/cryption --user-agent="ams"
TimeoutStopSec=20
KillMode=none
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=5s

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

You might want to add a log file location:

--log-file /tmp/rclone.log

Or wherever you want to put it.

ok I will do it, but it is really in case of trouble that it is useful?
does it require additional resources by always leaving it in log mode

Up to you. Adding logging does add minor overhead, but with logging, it does tend to help.

1 Like

Hi! I have a question that is a little off topic, I have 2 members of my server who have apple tv and sometimes they have read errors. When I look I have that as an explanation. Is this related to the vfs cache or some settings to change with:

rclone mount -vv --allow-other --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 3000G --vfs-cache-max-age 5000h --vfs-read-ahead 256M --vfs-read-chunk-size=64M --cache-dir=/mnt/eab0e7c5-12d4-44c2-b741-457f2314e840 --dir-cache-time 5000h --poll-interval 15s --buffer-size=128M --log-file /tmp/rclone.log Gcrypt: /mnt/cryption --user-agent="ams"

aoû 29 20:23:00 jonathan-MS-7B86 rclone[1004]: ERROR : series/ST/(exemple).mkv: vfs cache: failed to download: vfs reader: failed to write to cache file: read tcp 192.xxx.x.xx:40808->172.xxx.xx.xxx:443: i/o timeout

That means you had an internet timeout and nothing rclone related.

ok I understand, so the problem can also come from the customer. I often see --umask 002 in the command line and I was wondering if this would help some reading errors

umask is related to file permissions in Linux and would have zero impact on internet network errors.

I understand, what I find strange with a particular person who has an apple tv is that he cannot play a tv series which has nothing special in terms of format, video codec and audio. I wonder if this is linked to a particular setting of rclone. The apple tv was formatted and the app reinstalled, but it still has the same problem

I use Apple TVs in my house.

If you are seeing those errors, which are network / internet time outs, you'd want to check your router/home gear.

But everything else works except this series so I don't think it's due to the internet in this specific case If you believe that my rclone settings have no problem it will remain a mystery :slight_smile:

You'd want to:

1. Make a new post
  2. Use help and support template
  3. Recreate the issue and share all the details in the help and support template

You keep giving me tiny snippets of data so we go round and round without actually getting all the info needed to help answer your question.

1 Like

As this is an isolated case I am not giving it too much attention, I will see if it is worth it.

Thank you!

Hello, I restart the server and here is the error I have

rclone.log (26.1 KB)

i only keep:
rclone mount --allow-other --vfs-cache-mode full Gcrypt: /mnt/cryption --user-agent="ams"
and it's work 5 minutes :face_with_raised_eyebrow: