Rclone Samba share problem. Can't write to drive

Hi,

I'm quite new to Rclone but I used the wonderful guide by spaceinvader on youtube to setup rclone on my unraid box

unfortunately, i have one problem. I can't seem to write to any of the gdrive rclone shares from windows (through smb)

I just get the "you need permission to perform this action"

I've noticed a few others (threads below) on this forum have had a similar issue.

Unfortunately, I cannot understand the solutions provided as I'm quite a noob when it comes to rclone aside from the youtube video I used so can anyone provide some context for me?

For instace, in the first thread, the solution given is to add '--umask 000' into the mount. Where can I find the 'mount'?

I've followed the video tutorial exactly as above so apologies for any naivity.

Thanks

Adam

I use an Ubuntu Server to provide the the interface to the rclone mounts.

In my case, I have my server use the rclone mount command and then share the mount point via Samba - it is a two step process.

Can you verify that you can write to the mount from the unraid box? If so, then we need to check the Samba settings.

As far as Samba goes, it has been a while since I configured this, but I have the following in my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

[b2]
path = /path/to/mount/point
browseable = yes
writable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no
force user = root
force group = root

The key for me was the force user/group commands. This is absolutely not the right way to handle this, but it worked for me and I've got additional security.

I can write to the server directly from the unraid box no problem.

I'm pretty sure the issue is something to do with samba but I am not sure what. In the youtube tutorial (linked below) that I used to setup rclone, the author provided a samba configuration file which looks like the below:

[gdrive-cloud]
path = /mnt/disks/gdrive
comment =
browseable = yes
# Public
public = yes
writeable = yes
vfs objects =

Are you saying that I should amend this script with the force user/group command above? In which case it will look like this....

[gdrive-cloud]
path = /mnt/disks/gdrive
comment =
browseable = yes
# Public
public = yes
writeable = yes
vfs objects =
force user = root
force group = root

Let me know if that's what you meant. One thing with rclone I've found is that there's so many command lines I want to be sure I input them in the correct file.

Thanks

Yes. The problem (I think) is that the /mnt directory is owned by root and typically has 755 permissions, so unless the mount point is owned by the user running the rclone mount command, the samba user cannot write to it either.

I'm not sure that changing the mount location owner will result in it working, but that may be another solution.

Hi, I tried to add the force user and force group to the samba config file but unfortuanately no luck.

Can you explain what you mean by changing mount location? Just as an FYI, I have other slave disks on the server which are stored in mnt/disks and they work just fine. It's just the rclone network disks which are causing a problem.

Another thing I noticed yesterday, files that are already on the rclone shares (uploaded through the web interface or rclone) can be renamed, copied etc. It's just new files to add to the drive which is causing the issue on samba.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.