Rclone has been banned from Amazon Drive

Eventually the amazondrive client on windows started worked. I have files uploading again, from a share off my linux system. Although this procedure requires both Linux and Windows, at least it is possible. The bigger issue will be if I need to do a restore, I won’t be able to identify which files to restore from the encrypted file names. With 10TiB of encrypted data, that is no small problem to try and resolve.

My hope is that the rclone code is updated and Amazon does the right thing and issues a new keys. But that could be overly optimistic.

Very bad news to hear that they have banned rclone … Amazon will lose I think a lot of customer … too bad for them and for us too …

To follow the continuation but good … not cool to hear it

Well Ninthwalker, maybe you have the power :slight_smile:

I used your wording in a new ticket/email… I just received an automated “account canceled” email.

Will be interesting to see if the credit shows up somewhere.

And I just got the email telling me they are giving a refund…

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AMZN

do you truly think they give 2 shits about a few 100s people using rclone that cost them more than they make of us… yeah no… our loss but they save money

@dtech4you “few 100s”? Where did you get that? From how many are posting here?

1 Like

@kedryn @dtech4you While I do agree with the sentiment that amazon just doesn’t care and it is a drop in the ocean for them, it is definitely more than a few 100s. the github project alone has 6000 stars. still, it is not not millions which is what would make a difference.

Hello Guys,

I have a client ID and client Secret I got from another app. I’d like to compile rclone with these inside.
I understand that i have to encrypt the secret somehow before putting it in the source.
What kind of encryption is it ?

Hey,

You don’t need to do that, as you can override them use rclone config.
The only issue might be the redirect_url that isn’t the expected one, which would show an error on the amazon side.
There is another discussion about auto-refreshing the token on the front page, maybe generating it the same way would be much easier :slight_smile:

But I did something similar, just had to change the port binding in amazondrive code of rclone to have the expected redirect_url :slight_smile:

As far as I’m concerned, @ncw can enable this service for a just a little while until I can get my files off of ACD and into some other service. It will be too much of a hassle for him to maintain that kind of service indefinitely just for ACD and, understandably, he doesn’t want that kind of responsibility but I think that many people will find a temporal solution like this one very advantageous.

If it isn’t your own app and own client ID and secret I would high reccomend against using.

I think they won’t because we acd_cli & rclone users are the 5% of the customers generating the 95% of the bandwidth and occupying the 99% of the storage space…

It could be a easy and fast way get away the “worst” users.

This could also explain why should they decide NOT to un-ban acd_cli and rclone.

My humble and personal opinion.

Currently it looks like rclone is going to work against ACD again, any time soon.
Would be a shame if you would loose your ACD account, because of this token “stealing”.
I am pretty sure what you are doing is against any TOS. Your accounts probably are going to be banned soon.

1 Like

I agree. It does not make rclone or rclone users look good and could make it harder for ncw to get the app re-authorized in addition to getting your account banned.

1 Like

I’m afraid you are right.
Linux users that are backing up the full diskload of their NAS are probably not so many, but they are the most costly users. By revoking rclone and acd_cli they get rid of us easily.

For me, as a it manager, the issue is quite more serious with the token issue that with the space occupied
For amazon, their main concern is information security for their customers.
Yes you can not make as much money as you could with datahoarders everywhere, but trust me that they would loose ALL of their main customers if there was a serious enough security breach.
This issue of the token IS a serious security breach!

On the datahoarders matter, sorry kids, but your addiction is not the issue. You can encrypt ALL you want, but the dedup will still work, because it works on a block level.
You may not be deduping the same linux iso, but it will find somewhere inside all this pbytes match of your blocks and cross-link them so it saves space. It’s just this simple.

It’s far worst the load on the systems and network by the plex guys than the space occupied.

Trust me. Occupied space is not the issue. Continuous load on the network and servers is.
Have doubts? See how the premier services are billed. The space is peanuts, the transfer and compute operations are not.

It seems not amazon is leaking data. The authentication service of acd_cli leaked wrong tokens to their users. (as it currently seems). Therefore a third party app has had a security breach. If you authorize a third party app to access your ACD account, you are responsible yourself.

Yes, but what’s your argument here. Any file encrypted with a different key results in a new “random” looking block. Therefore you are saying any possible block exists, therefore any datablock in existence is at amazon and already dedupped? Also dedup information and restoring is quite intensive at ACD data-rates. (consider large files). like you said continuous load is an issue. Therefore I am sure not everything is dedupped.

Even it is not space; it is CPU power, memory consumption, power, to maintain dedup indices, etc…

The CPU usage for deduplication is negligible for it is done by proprietary systems (take a look on EMC DataDomain for example). Everything gets deduped.
And yes, the amazon name would be evolved in a shouting war because some shitty app leaked information.
For some IT newspapers and blogs it does not matter as long as they make a click on a scandal.

And scandals do cost money.

PS: There are a lot of service providers that are using ACD as a backup, with a lot more that 100TB backup stored and the software that they are using to place the backups is fully functional without ANY issues.
Note that the backup software does not do a remote mount :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI.

1 Like

Here is is talking on storage blobs and not linear storage that is what ACD uses. There is a big difference here.
And for sure that on the scale of amazoncd it would be impossible to manage a shitload of zfs servers.