Rclone has been banned from Amazon Drive

@amunhoz Amazon are not allowing any new developers to sign up and get their own API key at the moment:

https://developer.amazon.com/amazon-drive

The Amazon Drive API and SDKs are currently closed to new developers.
Thank you for your interest. We received an overwhelming number of API invitation requests with many innovative integration scenarios. We have ended the invitation period to focus on enabling new customer experiences with current developers.

3600 seconds, or one hour.

As an emergency solution to access data stored on ACD, I’ve tried drivesink as someone else pointed out before, and it works.

Here is the Linux install procedure:

sudo su
cd /usr/local/bin
chmod +x ./drivesink.py
sudo apt-get install python-pip
pip install --upgrade pip
pip install requests
pip install requests-toolbelt
exit

Download DriveSink using:

sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/caseymrm/drivesink/master/drivesink.py -O /usr/local/bin/drivesink.py

To configure drivesink go to:

https://drivesink.appspot.com/config

then copy the token to ~/.drivesink

Now you can download your precious data using:

drivesink.py download /acd_folder_name /local/path

Encrypted data can then be decrypted (after download) using rclone encryption of a local folder.

Tested on Debian and Ubuntu servers; should work out-of-the-box with Mac too

1 Like

This incident made it to heise (german tech news)

2 Likes

After downloading data via Drivesink, am I obliged to decrypt and rencrypt everything before sending to a new server? Or lets say if I just upload the data to Hubic, the way it is, I could use the same password/key in Hubic? Also, I was wondering if I could mount a Hubic drive via rclone, for example, in my server, and then download all the data directly to my mounted drive, via drivesink. Instead of saving everything to an internal hard drive first.

Yes, you can mount HubiC as a drive via rclone, even if it’s less “robust” than ACD was; moreover the total upload/download speed is 10Mbps, doesn’t matter how many connections you do.

Well… I just got this response from Amazon…

They explicitly say they will not be reenabling access to Rclone.

Hello,

I’ve checked with our appropriate teams and wanted to let you know that I’ve received a response, and they indicated your issue that we will not be re-enabling access to Amazon Drive from Rclone. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

They go on saying we ca discuss this in the appropriate forum and the dev team is listening to our suggestions…

A shame really…

Thanks a lot for the info. This is really absurd.
So, I will now play the dirty game, I will buy some ebay Unlimited GDrive accounts and transfer everything to those accounts. As I will have multiple copies, data safety won’t be a problem.

I had setup my own developer and can get my own access token and write it to rclone.config.
How can I patch rclone so that instead of asking for new token, it will read it from the config file again?

You had a access token from long time ago? Because it is not possible to get access tokens nowadays.

Yes I had a test app…

Thank you for the guide. I keep getting the following though:

syntax error near unexpected token ‘newline’
`DOCTYPE html’

This is what I did to install:

curl -O https://github.com/caseymrm/drivesink/blob/master/drivesink.py

• Your guide. Any help is appreciated.

Exact same problem here with drivesink

`DOCTYPE html’

Would be very grateful if any one could help get this working as I’m struggling to get my data off of acd.

The problem is I need to get my data from ACD onto my server since my home connection is slow. I was looking at odrive but don’t know if that would work to get my files from the cloud to the FTP. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I’d appreciate the help. Cheers.

And for those of you getting refunds… didn’t work for me. (I emailed support, maybe I need to call).

They implied that they were passing my issue on to development, acknowledged that access had been removed, and refused to refund me.

Really makes me want to continue business with them for other things…

Exact same problem here with drivesink

`DOCTYPE html’

Would be very grateful if any one could help get this working as I’m struggling to get my data off of acd.

Use this URL instead when getting the file

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/caseymrm/drivesink/master/drivesink.py

thank you it’s working

I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to get my data using their crappy web interface

I tried drivesink.py. First I had to fix the problem that it only wants to upload photo files. Then I had to fix the problem it crashed on symlinks. Then it hit a duplicate name error, as it doesn’t seem to understand linux filenames are case sensitive…

I do not think it is a usable alternatives. Just for kicks I tried just using the vanilla amazondrive software. It gets stuck endlessly “configuring” trying to decide what drives are available to sync. Manual uploads never seem to start either.

The last date I was able to successfully send a file to Amazon 2017-05-17. Man this sucks.

I called Amazon to cancel today.
Told them they “recently stopped supporting an app I use to access ACD, so I would like to cancel and see about getting a refund”. The CS rep immediately replied with “rclone?”.

Said they have been getting so many cancellations because of that. hah! Maybe they will learn something from this. (Then again, maybe not).

He put me on a brief hold, came back said it was cancelled and I would receive a full refund.
Gave that rep a nice review online. At least Amazon’s customer support is legit.

5 Likes

Thanks Ninthwalker, I used the exact words you used, i got some guy from the UK, cancelled it issued a full refund and knew about rclone, though he wouldn’t admit they were getting alot of cancellations due to it. He did ask if there was any other way for us linux users to access the drive and i said no and the browser was not going to help because my files are encrypted. He said he understood and noted that rclone was the reason.

@ncw
we are with you man, hope they give you right asap.

2 Likes