Rclone gdrive mount not refreshing used space, only after remount

Hi, just wanted to report that i noticed rclone is not refreshing used space when mounted. Only after remount i see updated stats about gdrive usage with df -h command. Using ubuntu linux, this worked before on < 1.53.

rclone v1.53.2

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.15.3

Cheers

Log file?
Command you are using?

Did you see the help template and is there a reason you deleted all the useful information in it?

Yes i did ofcourse, but what will you see in log file related to mount not refreshing used space on linux df -h command ? :slight_smile:
Ill collect logs no probs, but this is easy to reproduce.

So please fill out the help template..

I thought this was normal behavior, at least in Windows.

Works fine on Linux as that's what the OP is using in theory from the rclone version.

Rclone only reads the data every minute or so. However depending on which cloud provider you use, they don't calculate it very often either.

Which cloud provider are you using?

Nick, my GDrive Windows mount has never updated the space used reported in Windows Explorer. Only a remount reflects it correctly. For example, if I start a mount and it shows 1 PB free of 1.81 PB, and I then upload enough to make it go over 0.82 PB, the mount won't show that automatically. I always thought this was normal behavior.

Note: This probably has nothing to do with what OP reported, but I'm curious :wink:

Apologizes for not mentioning in initial post, google drive.

my mount of gdrive DOES refresh used space
rclone mount gdrive-a1b2: b:\mount\rclone\gdrive-a1b2 --dir-cache-time=1m

then i copy a .iso file of size 2.6GB

as requested, you need to post your command.

did another test
rclone mount gdrive-a1b2: b:\mount\rclone\gdrive-a1b2 --read-only --dir-cache-time=1m
then i upload a file to gdrive via the website.
after the upload finished, the mount displayed the correct free space.

@VBB, you tend to use values like --dir-cache-time 1000h, that could be the reason.
as a test, can you wait for 1000h and see if the mount updates, play some outlaws in the mean time :wink:

i do not use gdrive much but i noticed that using the website to upload a file, that there is a delay before the wesbite will display the updated free status, seems that if gdrive itself has a delay, --dir-cache-time=5m will not update until 5m + that delay.

1 Like

Yes after i posted same thought came to my mind about dircache parameter, but didnt have time to test it, but will now...

this is my command service file:

ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount gcrypt2: /mnt/md5/gdrive2
--config /home/xxx/.config/rclone/rclone.conf
--log-level INFO
--log-file /home/xxx/gdrive2.log
--allow-other
--allow-non-empty
--dir-cache-time 1000h
--cache-dir=/mnt/md5/_vfscache/gdrive2vfscache
--vfs-cache-mode full
--vfs-cache-max-size 250G
--vfs-cache-max-age 672h
--buffer-size 24M
--bwlimit-file 25M
--async-read=false \

I don't think my high dir-cache-time has anything to do with it, because the current space used/free also does not update after a prime/refresh. Of course, this could once again be something unique to Windows Explorer :stuck_out_tongue:

since i do not mount to drive letters and i do not use windows explorer
this time, i use this mount command and did all copy operations using windows explorer.
and windows explorer DOES update the free space.

rclone.exe mount gdrive-a1b2: x: --dir-cache-time=1m

then upload iso file

Thanks for testing that. It looks like it does it on a small scale (GB). For me and all my gigglebytes of data (PB), it does not refresh :frowning:

EDIT: Perhaps I should rephrase that. I think it doesn't reflect the refresh on a PB level.

as a test, you can try to use a small value for --dir-cache-time`

Well, I could, but I wouldn't see anything at that level, because Windows Explorer doesn't show down to the GB. So, my mount currently says 1 PB free of 1.82 PB. Let's say I cross into 1.83 today and don't remount, but instead run a refresh, I know for a fact it will not update to say 1 PB free of 1.83 PB. Hard to test, though, because i never know exactly when the count changes so it would be visible. You know what I mean?

well, what about using this or a dir from the command prompt

dir x:
 Volume in drive X is gdrive-a1b2
 Volume Serial Number is 596D-3E53

Directory of X:\

11/16/2020  03:03 PM    <DIR>          iso
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               1 Dir(s)  14,714,191,872 bytes free

I'll have to look at that the next time I level up :slight_smile:

Not a big deal anyway, because I usually remount once a day, or at least try to with every new beta.

On a side note, how come there is no badge for most threads hijacked? :wink: