Rclone ftp online net

Hello i have a problem to use rclone ftp with online net ftp backup storage.
I have configured online net ftp in rclone, but when i try to connect i got these errors:

2017/08/26 12:20:36 ERROR : : error listing: dial tcp 123.456.123.23:34015: getsockopt: connection refused
2017/08/26 12:20:36 Failed to lsd: dial tcp 123.456.123.23:34015: getsockopt: connection refused

Has anybody an idea?

soyouftp works fine with rclone ftp

Hello ink0gnito,

Has anybody an idea?

First of all, the address shown for your online.net FTP server (123.456.123.23) is not a real IP address; have you “redacted” it before posting here, or was it really that address that was being shown? Probably the former, but if the latter, I would suspect you got a bad address somewhere in your configuration.

If the former, it seems that your online.net FTP server is simply refusing connections from your client; FTP is a really antiquated and messy protocol which (unlike most modern protocols) require new “backchannel” connections for some of the data to flow from the server to the client, for example the “ls” command which would list the remote files. In this vein, the problem would be probably related to the inability of the server to provide “passive mode” FTP, which is what rclone uses (see here for more details). You could debug this by using a conventional FTP client and forcing passive mode on it, then trying to connect to the online.net server.

Either way, my suggestion is to use something else instead of FTP (for example, SFTP) if online.net allows; this would not only be more secure (FTP sends your password in plaintext on the wire) but faster (specially for lots of small files) and possibly more stable.

Cheers,
– Durval.

That is not the real online net ftp ip, i have changed the ip address.
I will test the ftp protocoll because on my online net server is a free 100gb ftp backup plan included.
I know that the ftp protocoll is old and unsecure, but only ftp ist included in free plan.
i tested it with ftp-ssl client, active mode is forbidden and passive mode is mandatory.

Hello ink0gnito,

That is not the real online.net ftp ip, i have changed the ip address.

OK, so my first guess is off.

I like free. Free is good. Free gets. Sh¡t. Done. :slight_smile:

Ok, so my second guess is off too…

I’d say we have a bug in rclone’s ftp code, then. To be sure of that, and help to debug it, can you please:

1. try with the latest beta, if you didn’t already?
  2. provide a full rclone debug log, generated by including the options -v -v --log-file whatever.log in your command line?
  3. provide a tcpdump capture file (generated by running tcpdump -nnl -s0 -w whatever.cap host your.ftp.server.ip in another shell session simultaneously with 1) above? This file will include your ftp password, so be sure to change it to something discardable before running the test, then change it back.
  4. open an issue on rclone’s github pointing back to this thread, and upload the above files there?

Cheers,
– Durval.

This is very curious.
I have the last beta version installed and could then run 3 or 4 times rclone lsd ftponline: without error.
But then came again the same error message and since then nothing more.

Hi ink0gnito,

I have the last beta version installed and could then run 3 or 4 times rclone lsd ftponline: without error.
But then came again the same error message and since then nothing more.

This points to intermitent problems with your setup – was rclone connecting to the same IP address every time? Sometimes ISPs like online.net have a bunch of servers answering from the same FQDN, and in your case the problem may be manifesting in some of them and not in others.

Cheers,
– Durval.

Hi durval why is my post flagged as spam?

I try to connect only from the online net server to the ftp server, because the ftp server only allows connections from the online net server.

I’ve unblocked it the post. Spam filter flagged it.

Hi all,

I’ve got the same issue using rclone v1.39 (linux amd64):
2017/08/26 12:20:36 ERROR : : error listing: dial tcp 123.456.123.23:34015: getsockopt: connection refused
2017/08/26 12:20:36 Failed to lsd: dial tcp 123.456.123.23:34015: getsockopt: connection refused

This kind of rclone connection still fails.
Using a ‘classic’ ftp client, everything is ok.

Regards,
Ben

Probably the easiest way for me to debug this is for someone to lend me their credentials for a little while. If anyone would like to then email them to nick@craig-wood.com - I won’t access any data you have stored there. Or alternatively if someone could point me towards setting up a free account?

Thanks Nick.
I’m going to send you credentials by email.
(There is no way to have free account)

Received thanks - will have a go with them a bit later today!

Here is a beta for you to try…

https://pub.rclone.org/v1.39-121-g9f04af50-ftp-pasvβ/

With a potential fix in.

The problem turns out to be in the upstream library

It works :rocket:

Big thanks for your great Job, Nick!
:grinning:

Great! I have to get my fix merged upstream so it might be a little while before this appear in the regular betas.

Hi Nick,

I’m now using rclone to backup some files to my “online dedibackup” account.

First copy/sync is ok (with no error), the next try works also well but returns errors:

2018/02/05 11:30:44 ERROR : ftp://dedibackup-dc3.online.net:21/home: Error while Logging in into dedibackup-dc3.online.net:21: 530 bad login
2018/02/05 11:30:44 ERROR : : error reading destination directory: list: ftpConnection Login: 530 bad login

Even a single ls works well but returns same errors…

Is there a way to ignore such errors?

I wonder what is causing those errors. It might be limiting the number of connections. Try with --checkers 1 --transfers 1 and see if that makes any difference?

It’s much better, thanks!

New point:

There’s something wrong with all my hidden files:

ERROR : .htaccess: Failed to copy: update getinfo: object not found

Hidden files are correctly copied, but rclone give me errors…

Can you post a bit of the log with -vv so I can see what you mean?

I’ve juste sent you the whole log file by email.