Rclone Docker on Synology

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Rclone mount read-only works based on this guide. Synology (Docker) - Plex Tips
However, I cannot export/backup Synology system configuration when the google drive is mounted. As the result, I cannot run any Hyper Backup tasks when my GD is mounted, since it requires system configuration to be backed up. Unmount GD before running backup is fine without issue so the problem is how I mount GD using rclone. Do not know how to further debug so any suggestion is appreciated.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

sudo docker run -d --name rclone-mount-encrypt --cap-add SYS_ADMIN --device /dev/fuse --security-opt apparmor:unconfined -e RemotePath="googledriveremote:" -e MountCommands="--allow-other --allow-non-empty --read-only --dir-cache-time 672h --vfs-cache-max-age 675h --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 1G --buffer-size 32M" -v /home/myhome/config:/config -v /volume1/googledrive123:/mnt/mediaefs:shared mumiehub/rclone-mount

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

hello and welcome to the forum,

might try using a rclone debug log. change the location of the rclone.log
`--log-level=DEBUG --log-file=/path/to/log/rclone.log

have you seen
https://rclone.org/install/#install-with-docker
https://rclone.org/docker/

Thanks. I do not see any error in the rclone log. I think it is more like an incompatibility with Synology. Actually any suggestion on which log in Synology to look at would be super helpful.

after reading that guide, not sure it can be trusted.

fwiw, i have access to a synbox, done testing in the past, rclone mount runs fine on that.

rclone itself has it own docker image, i would follow the rclone docs i shared, for mounting using docker.

Would you be able to do a quick test and see if you can backup system configuration on Synology with the rclone mount running in Docker? Appreciate it since the rclone mount is running ok for me, just the backup part is problematic. Thanks!

did you try my suggestion, to use the official rclone docker image and official rclone docker documentation?

i do not run docker on the synbox, just adds a layer of complexity.
rclone mount runs just fine without docker.
i use rclone mount to share a remote over the local lan as a smb share.

Yes. No difference unfortunately. Synology requires shared flag enabled when mounted, which is missing from the Rclone guide of course. Really hoping you or someone can test Rclone docker mount in Synology.

rclone serve webdav is working well.

in testing, the following works
--- backups, including system configuration.
--- restores
--- compression
--- encryption
--- check integrity, including using the .pem file
--- using md5 hash to verify file uploads

Appreciate all the testing you've done. Since you are not using docker for rclone mount, I am curious how you would handle synology upgrades and can potentially break rclone dependencies?

sure, i have been deploying more synboxs lately, so looking for an excuse to push rclone.

• most upgrades seem to reboot the synbox, perhaps it should be called a winbox :wink:
    need to restart rclone at boot time, docker or not.
  • rclone is a portable app. dependencies have never been an issue.
    i run rclone on windows, linux, termux and a bunch of other places,

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.