Possible to encrypt an existing remote?

I just wanted to double check, is it still not possible to encrypt an existing remote?
I realize as of 2020 this was not possible: Is it possible to encrypt an existing drive as well as doing it on the fly?

I have a remote on google drive that I would like to be encrypted; as its a few hundred gigabytes its a bit a pain to reupload, but I will do that if I must.

Thanks!

rclone version:
rclone v1.59.2

• os/version: arch "rolling" (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.19.9-arch1-1 (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.1
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: none

Are you on the latest version of rclone? You can validate by checking the version listed here: Rclone downloads
-->Yes

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

No magic has occurred as the encryption happens through rclone so it must be re-uploaded.

hi, to avoid using your local internet connection, could use a free/cheap vm in the cloud and run rclone on that.

Ah, figured as much. Thanks.

Do you mean I could download my data from Google Drive to the vm, then reupload from it to Google Drive with encryption?

Can you recommend a free cloud vm?

google cloud compute, does not charge data transfers fees with gdrive.

and with that small amount of data to be crypted, almost any vm provider would work.

i have experience with:

--- the cheapest vm from black.host, $2.99/month, using rclone to transfer data from wasabi to aws s3 deep glacier on a daily basis.
--- second cheapest vm, from hetzner, for my emby server, $5.00/month

Thanks for the tip. Google cloud compute worked great.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.