Non Gdrive for backup

that medium.com article was from 2014 and was very weak on concrete details.
we would have read the terms of service for dropbox.

i tend to run paranoid and just assume my files are being scanned and if not scanned today, perhaps they will get scanned tomorrow.
given how easy it is to crypt files, i crypt all my media and other "stuff"

If I were to setup a crypt on dropbox and sync that from gdrive would it look like this?

gdrive unencrypted -> sync -> dropbox crypt

yes,
create a crypt remote on dropbox.
then as a test, copy a file from gdrive to that new remote.

My Files are not encrypted on my gdrive either and if i move to dropbox i dont think i would encrypt them because they arent stupid. Just because the name is encrypted doesnt mean they cant deduce what type of files your moving on there just by the file sizes.

@jad3675

Is it still going well? I just want a backup location to store my stuff, i wouldnt use plex on it unless i really have to. Getting myself setup at home to backup my 70TB with extra space to grow is a big upfront cost that i cant afford so cloud is my only option right now.

hi,
for a given file, the crypted size will be difference from the non-crypted size.

how big a difference we talking?

it is documented here with two example file sizes
https://rclone.org/crypt/#file-encryption

Thanks for that :)...I dont know if i want to encrypt as it can be a pain when you want to quickly visually compare your backup with your main source. Mega was my backup till they removed my write access but that is one of there M-O. Looking at Dropbox more closely now after reading this thread

you can use a rclone mount

Yeah i know but the problem is that any manipulation of the file needs to go through the mount since you cannot see the file name in dropbox. It has happen to me in the past that need to just move a file quickly in my Gdrive to another location but because it was encrypted, i needed to pass via the mount. This is fine when you can have access to it but a pain when your trying to do it from your phone ..lol..but i will think about if i want to encrypt or not...just got to choose before i start moving stuff

sure, to crypt ot not to crypt, that is the question.

just trying to give you options.

rclone can run on an android phone....

@saitoh183
DB works fine - I was able to transfer everything over using a VPS with unlimited bandwidth. Performance wise, DB worked fine for streaming and my backup needs. My only problem was that rclone doesn't have DB as a polling remote (though it is being worked on) which meant things got a little complicated when I added new backups or other files.

What VPS did you end up going with?

I'd imagine the UNM Core unmetered vps host would do the job. Considering it just needs to move the data around I would imagine you wouldn't need to have a lot of Cores assigned.

You aren't even the person I asked?