Move while Mount is running

I have the setup
GDrive Remote > Cache > Crypt.

I run the mount command
./rclone.exe mount --config Z:\rclone.conf --allow-other --allow-non-empty gcrypt: K:

I can’t copy in paste from windows explorer into the mount and I can’t run this move command
Z:\rclone-v1.47.0-windows-amd64\rclone.exe --config Z:/rclone.conf move --verbose --transfers 3 --checkers 4 --bwlimit 8M --contimeout 60s --timeout 300s --retries 3 --low-level-retries 10 --stats 1s Z:! gcrypt:

I get a cache timeout.

So how do you move files to a remote while it’s mounted?

A cache backend can only be used by one thing. A mount. A move. Not both.

You can use a regular encrypted rclone configuration and move that way.

I asked this question earlier about my planned workflow. I thought you needed a cache attached to a remote to avoid API bans from GDrive. Can I acheive the same workflow without a cache? If so, how do I remove the cache?

Ah, I see as that was my mistake. I glanced over the ‘cache’ part when I read it. You can only have one cache running per process. If you wanted to mount multiple caches, you would have multiple configs as you need one cache config per mount as the cache database can only be opened by 1 thing.

To remove the cache, just going your encrypted config directly to the folder on your GD.

The need for cache went away around the summer of 2018ish so as long as you are using a current version, you are quite fine and it’s one less thing to worry about.

What caused the cache to no longer be needed?

The problem with rclone prior for Google Drive was chunked reading. The cache backend introduced chunked reading, which is really the key thing.

~May 2018 - the default VFS backend beta’ed chunked reading and eventually released with 1.42 - Rclone 1.42 release

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.