Mirroring basics

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

want to know how to mirror 2 linux Raspberry Pi local folders

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.53.3-DEV

• os/arch: linux/arm
  • go version: go1.15.5

i installed rclone today from repository following instructions - i assume it is the latest for Raspberry Pi?

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

none/owncloud

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

/usr/bin/rclone sync -i '/home/pi/owncloud/TV/talk shows' '/home/pi/shared/talk shows/'

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

local to local

A log from the command with the -vv flag

hi - can anyone advise me if there is a command to mirror one folder to another?
my source folder is already mapped to owncloud/webdav and the command is working to sync
to my destination which is also local
when i watch videos and delete them i want the deletion to affect both local folders - mirroring.
tried to find a mirror command in the commands list but maybe it is under another name?
i never will require files to be uploaded to the source - only deletions made in both places.
hopefully the trash bin can be avoided.
perhaps there is a clever linux command to delete the same filename in location B when it is deleted in location A?
whatever you guys can help with is much appreciated - thanks
brad

hello and welcome to the forum,

using a very old version, custome compiled version of rclone, so update to latest stable v1.57.0.
the only way to get it is https://rclone.org/downloads/#script-download-and-install

imho, i would not use rclone for local to local, as there are better tools.
if want rclone, then this command will perform a one-way sync.
rclone sync A B -v --dry-run
--- --dry-run, rclone will not copy/delete any files, just to show you what rclone would do.
--- -v will display of list of operations that rclone would do.

hi
using rclone for local to webdav - i have the webdav linked direct to linux as a folder so what benefit would there be to using rclone direct to webdav if the OS is doing it for me? i followed an online tutorial.
i will get on that latest version asap - thanks.
but you still have not addressed if mirror operations between two sources is possible with rclone - any version? if not - please suggest a tool that will do folder mirroring.
thanks!

not sure how the OS is doing it for you know and nothing about some online tutorial.
so i cannot comment.
but why have two steps, if rclone do it in one step.

well, that is what rclone sync A B does.
B will be a mirror of A

hello - thanks for responding.
here is the tutorial i followed to mount webdav into to the OS file manager so it works with all apps:

after that it is simply a matter of mirroring 2 local folders.
to do that with rclone i followed this doc:

two steps: that is the order in which i found the information. could not find a tutorial that linked rclone direct to webdav. sometimes you don't know how to search for something until it is completed - right?
if rclone can mirror A and B then what command do i use for that as sync only mirrors in one direction - i want both sources to be the same all the time - if one file is added or deleted on either side i want it to mirror those operations - same as most cloud clients like dropbox - Raspberry Pi is 32 bit and there is no OwnCloud client for that platform so i need to improvide one.
any idea what tool might accomplish this? would rsync work rather than rclone?
thanks jojo!

hi
did some research and it seems rsync does not support 2 way mirroring - so looking for suggestions. found unison and freefilesync - any preferences there? if rsync or rclone respected the delete time then there would be no problem but it restores a file as soon as you delete it - which makes sense if you are a master-slave pair, but in this case it is a true mirror - both sides should always be the same based on what i changed on either side.(cloud sync) - so it needs to watch either side for changes and make the same change on the other. thanks!

--- i run ubuntu 64bit on my pi4. and even my piz2 can run 64bit, tho i have not tried yet.
--- cannot comment on bisync.

that is documented at https://rclone.org/webdav/
i know nothing about davfs2, but with rclone, can verify file transfer using hash checksums.

and to make owncloud appears as local storage, rclone mount

Rclone beta has bisync for bidirectional synchronisation - you could try that.

1 Like

thanks - please advise how to install the beta for 32 bit debian for Raspberry Pi.
brad

On the download page:

Rclone downloads

great! and the location of the doc on this new bisync feature is located where?

I'm not familiar with it as it's located around these items:

Issues ยท rclone/rclone (github.com)

have you searched the forum, as there a bunch of posts about bisync.

including this from @jwink3101
https://forum.rclone.org/t/two-way-sync-with-sync/20952/4

https://forum.rclone.org/t/semi-rclone-bisync-two-way-sync-with-rclone-copy/8995/1

jojo - thanks but those posts refer to bisync as a future feature. i'm looking for doc on the new beta command bisync - what commands are needed to test it.
brad

well, a project from fellow rcloner @jwink3101, is mentioned
https://github.com/Jwink3101/syncrclone

"syncrclone: Written from the ground up to support any two rclone remotes. Lots of options and ability to back up first."

I found this:

It's listed here [rclone], which I would think would be the commands for the latest release, but it looks like bisync is still in beta. I'm not sure I should be a beta tester, but I'm looking forward to that feature.

1 Like

hello and welcome to the forum,

well, the best way to have that feature is to help out and be a beta tester.

in the mean time, could use the combo of rclone mount and something like syncthing.
https://forum.rclone.org/t/mount-google-drive-and-sync-with-syncthing/27025

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.