Lacking Good Tutorials

I’ve been searching high and low to see how people handle mounting Google Drive as a service via rClone Mount and frankly, I’m super disappointed with the information I’ve collected. There has not been a single tutorial that has stood out as a good source for newbies. Animosity has a good start, but he doesn’t explain things very well, at least in my opinion. PlexDrive is great, but R/O blows, and PlexGuide is awesome, if it works. I set one up, R/O, Movies wouldn’t play, 4K content wouldn’t play, and I had load time issues.

Server Used
CPU: Intel i7-7700K OC 4.7Ghz - 5Ghz
RAM: DDR4 64GB
SSD1: 480GB NVMe
SSD2: 480GB NVMe
RAID: 1

So here’s my question: Why hasn’t anyone sat down to write a decent tutorial explaining how this stuff works?

1 Like

I’ve updated my stuff a bit recently in my spare time to try to explain a bit more, but definitely not a tutorial.

Why not take a stab at it and you can see how many folks would pitch in?

What are you looking to explain that’s missing?

Well, it’s mostly the best mount settings to use. From a beginners stand point, people just throw information at you, and say “use this because I said so”, no one takes the time to explain exactly WHY these settings are the best.

Right now, I’m using that tutorials settings, and I’m having issues with my server. It says “Unable to load contents of /media/Plex/Movies”. Two directories work, TVShows and my 4K-TVShows, but anything else won’t. Same folder permissions / ownership. Not a clue why.

Yeah, I think that’s a big part of it as defining ‘best’ is quite tough as there are so many use cases for rclone and in this case, you are referring to the plex use case.

I definitely wouldn’t say that I have a ‘tutorial’ as it’s really a brain dump of my setup. I’ve tried to go back and explain things a bit more, but you are correct as the intended audience is not a novice and more someone that dabbles a bit more.

I went back and added a few more comments into some of my startup scripts to include some reasons that I did things.

I’ve been testing out the cache backend lately to see if that works well enough as it mitigates a few of the odd playback issues from the players out there that I don’t own :slight_smile:

Maybe some other folks can pitch in and help to write more of a tutorial.

Nice! I’ll go and check it out. I’m not exactly a Novice, I’m fairly familiar with the Linux environment, but the majority of things I’ve worked on had repos added already. I’ve finally got the mount setup and working, only to have massive issues with plex. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why. I’ve gotta nuke the whole setup, and start over. Thankfully, I’ve gotten it down better.

It doesn’t need to be a tutorial per se, but more of a guide “These options work the best for x y z reasons…”. I’m trying to de-complicate my setup, and frankly, it’s not happening lol.

Makes sense.

I’m trying to test the cache backend as that’s a bit more stable on most clients for Plex. i’ve had it up a few days now in my setup so I’m going to see how that plays out.

My goal is to have 2 sets of configurations for people to choose from…

1. Low User Count (Less than 5 people streaming at any given time)
  2. High User Count (5 or more at any given time)

I have anywhere from 25 to 50 people connecting to my plex server to stream. Believe me, it’s caused some serious headaches for me. Especially when my hosting company decided to do Network Maintenance and killed the servers in the middle of the night. 3AM text blow up “Servers down, FIX IT!”

I also want to figure out, and explain how to bypass the 750GB / Day Upload limit by using the APIs. You can have 10 “workers” per account iirc, which is 750GB per worker. I’ll have to dig this all out.

The overall goal above is what I’m after, and allowing people to increase their content without breaking the 750GB limit.

That limit is per user. You can break it by using team drives but the storage quota is also per user so you’ll need multiple gsuites accounts at $12 per user per month to upload to a shared team drive which also brings a set of others issues related to team drives themselves. I’m not sure if another way.

Although accordingly to this the 750 limit is also for the team drive itself. I’m not sure if this is talking “per user” but I’d it was it wouldn’t have called out team drives specifically.

" Maximum uploads per day

After you’ve uploaded 750 GB to a Team Drive in 1 day, you’ll be blocked from uploading additional files that day. However, file uploads already in progress will complete, up to a 5 TB maximum for a single file."

You could union many drives together but then you’re back to multiple accounts at $12 each along with the design of segregation of the data across drives.

Interesting. I was thinking of moving from my cache backend to a vfs/union setup. From anecdotal evidence I thought vfs was better for streaming - what are seeing in plex?

John (posted this earlier, but somehow managed to delete it. Whoops)

So VFS is definitely ‘faster’ but there are many players that have issues with opening and closing of files over and over. By faster, I notice my timed commands run a few seconds.

The cache backend handles that better as it has the files on disk so it’s not quite as good if it’s a few seconds faster but can’t play if you know what I mean.

I’d guess cache with vfs would give you the best of both worlds.

EDIT; Although I wonder if you’d still see the delay because the cache needs to download the first chunk.

Unless you’ve got a nice fat pipe to work with, I’d put in a delay of at least 120 seconds. If there was a way to tell Plex what to cache locally, that’d be awesome.

My new plex server setup will be a 6 - 12 bay cache system. Basically, anything new added to my G Drive will be stored there for a month, and then removed. Every week new content will be added, and the oldest deleted. I’m going to end up renting out a full rack to get my Plex server rolling. Haha.

Well, if you guys have configs you want me to test, let me know. I’ll test it out.

The 750GB limit is per account.
Whether that is the user account (i.e. their own Google Drive) or their account uploading to the Team Drive.
If you have two users/accounts for the Team Drive, then each user can upload up to their 750GB/day - so that would total 1.5TB between the two. If you have five users/accounts, again each user/account can upload up to 750GB so a total of 3.75TB of data could be uploaded if each user/account maxed their individual 750GB/day/account limit.

Bottom line - the 750GB/day limit is per account/user NOT the total that can be uploaded to a team drive in any given 24 hour period.

Correct. But my understanding is that then each of those users store data against their quota. So each of those accounts needs an unlimited.

Yes…that’s why it is a TEAM drive.
Unless I misunderstand your point, that is what I wrote. Each user/account gets 750GB/day for upload quota.

If you want five accounts - you’re paying for five users.
Technically you’re supposed to have at least ten accounts for a team drive anyway…but that’s a different topic.

My point was in response to “breaking the 750GB limit” which the op mentioned. Was simply saying it wasn’t likely to be broken without paying more by having “worker” accounts.

I have no problem paying for another account or two, absolutely don’t. In fact, I planned on having at least 3 accounts rolling. I upload from multiple sources, and I can easily break that 750GB limit in a few hours. Downloading Star Trek itself, that was over 1TB of data, and that’s the TVShows. Right now, I manually watch how much I upload. I leave 150GB for TVShows/Movies, and the remaining 600GB is used by a script that I’m working on to kill the transfer after 600GB has been pushed. However, that’s not the best way to do it because you’ll hit the rate limiting if you’re not careful. Which invokes an 16 to 24 hour ban, at least that’s how long it was for me.

You actually don’t need multiple accounts. You can easily make do with service accounts and pay only for the one actual user.

1 Like

Does that actually work? Have you tried it? That’s interesting.

Yep, it works. Been using it for quite some time now.

1 Like