Google Drive with service account and restricted scope

Hi,

I’m trying to set up a Google Drive remote with a service account as described here, the only difference being that I want to use the https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive.appfolder scope instead of the https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive one, and it doesn’t work.

If I put https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive.appfolder in the “One or More API Scopes” field (last point under “2.” in the description) and use this config:

[drive-appfolder]
type = drive
scope = drive.appfolder
service_account_file = <path to json-file>
root_folder_id = appDataFolder

I get this error:

$ rclone -v --drive-impersonate <email> ls drive-appfolder:
2019/01/05 12:59:12 Failed to ls: couldn't list directory: Get https://www.googleapis.com/drive/v3/files?alt=json&fields=files%28id%2Cname%2Csize%2Cmd5Checksum%2Ctrashed%2CmodifiedTime%2CcreatedTime%2CmimeType%2Cparents%2CwebViewLink%29%2CnextPageToken&pageSize=1000&prettyPrint=false&q=trashed%3Dfalse+and+%28%27appDataFolder%27+in+parents%29&spaces=appDataFolder: oauth2: cannot fetch token: 401 Unauthorized
Response: {
  "error": "unauthorized_client",
  "error_description": "Client is unauthorized to retrieve access tokens using this method."
}

If, on the other hand, I put https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive in the “One or More API Scopes” field and use this config:

[drive]
type = drive
scope = drive
service_account_file = <path to same json-file>

things work as expected:

$ rclone -v --drive-impersonate <email> ls drive:
$ echo $?

I’m using:

$ rclone version
rclone v1.45
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.10.5

Any ideas?

Hmm, I suspect --drive-impersonate isn’t compatible with appfolder. I tried searching for a combination of the two and I couldn’t find anything though.

1 Like

So, a bug, a missing feature, or both? :slight_smile:

At the moment, I need to choose between a) using a service account with the
drive scope and having rclone data exposed via the web interface and b) using the OAuth 2 token flow with the drive.appfolder scope and not having rclone data exposed via the web interface.

Neither option is ideal, but (unless you have other ideas) I’ll probably stick with a) since all of my rclone data is encrypted so having it exposed via the web interface is more of a nuisance than a potential security threat…

A good question!

I think it might be a bug - I’m not passing the correct scopes in to the JWT token…

try this

https://beta.rclone.org/branch/v1.45-057-g90aae624-fix-drive-scope-beta/ (uploaded in 15-30 mins)

Wow! I’m impressed. I just tried the linux/amd64 version and both of the above configs now work as expected with their respective scopes. Excellent. Thank you very much. :smile:

When do you expect an official release with this fix to be out?

Great :smile:

I’ve merged that to master now, it will be in the latest beta in 15-30 mins then be released in v1.46 on 7th Feb or there abouts!

Sweet. :smile:

Anyway, I’ve done a bit more testing, with the latest beta and this config (and https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive.appfolder as API scope):

[drive]
type = drive
scope = drive.appfolder
impersonate = <email>

Any idea whether this is another scope-related issue? Or something else entirely?

$ rclone about drive:
Used:    0
Trashed: 0
Other:   1.394G
$ rclone ls drive:
$ ls -s file
4 file
$ rclone copy file drive:
$ rclone ls drive:
        4 file
$ rclone cleanup drive:
2019/01/08 22:06:01 ERROR : Attempt 1/3 failed with 0 errors and: googleapi: Error 403: Insufficient Permission, insufficientPermissions
2019/01/08 22:06:01 ERROR : Attempt 2/3 failed with 0 errors and: googleapi: Error 403: Insufficient Permission, insufficientPermissions
2019/01/08 22:06:01 ERROR : Attempt 3/3 failed with 0 errors and: googleapi: Error 403: Insufficient Permission, insufficientPermissions
2019/01/08 22:06:01 Failed to cleanup: googleapi: Error 403: Insufficient Permission, insufficientPermissions
$ rclone about drive:
Used:    4
$ rclone delete drive:file
$ rclone about drive:
Used:    4
Trashed: 4
$ rclone ls drive:
$ rclone ls drive: --drive-trashed-only
        4 file
$ rclone delete drive:file --drive-trashed-only --drive-use-trash=false
$ rclone about drive:
Used:    0

Cleanup just calls https://developers.google.com/drive/api/v3/reference/files/emptyTrash so I guess that is out of scope for an app scoped key.

Whereas this

Will iterate all files from the root deleting trashed files.

Note that if you don’t want trashed files you can put --drive-use-trash=false or use_trash = false in the config.

Right. I was looking at https://developers.google.com/drive/api/v3/about-auth and it says nothing about trash in the scope descriptions. Good to know that this is not a bug. :slight_smile:

Nah, I like being able to restore files. :slight_smile:

Anyway, with this config (and https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive.appfolder,https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive as API scopes):

[drive]
type = drive
scope = drive,drive.appfolder
impersonate = <email>

cleanup now works – which is to say, it works like the Empty trash button on the web interface in that it removes both app-specific and non-app-specific trash. I actually think this behaviour is a bit dangerous, but, of course, out of your hands. (The Empty trash button on the web interface may remove things that are not actually shown in the Trash folder on the web interface! At least with rclone you can fiddle with the root_folder_id and trashed_only options and SEE both types of trash.)

One last thing…

If I create a folder, say test7, via the web interface, and use this config:

[drive]
type = drive
scope = drive,drive.appfolder
impersonate = <email>

rclone shows the folder as both trash and non-trash! Surely this must be a bug in rclone?

$ rclone lsd drive: --drive-trashed-only=false
          -1 2019-01-09 22:07:24        -1 test7
$ rclone lsd drive: --drive-trashed-only=true
          -1 2019-01-09 22:07:24        -1 test7

:smile:

That is good!

Rclone shows all folders in trashed-only mode otherwise you wouldn’t be able to see the files underneath them. So you can have a non trashed folder with trashed files in.

That is the reason why…

I’m not particularly happy with the --drive-trashed-only interface but I couldn’t think of anything better!

Well, it confused me, so I’m not particularly happy with it either. :smile:

Maybe --drive-trashed-only=true should only consider a non-trashed folder if it has one or more trashed descendants (files or folders). This will probably make operations more expensive (I guess you need to do an initial depth-first traversal of the filesystem tree and mark relevant nodes), but at least --drive-trashed-only=true will work as advertised – each (leaf) file or folder processed will actually be “trashed-only”. :wink:

A file system traversal will make it super expensive to run as directory traversals are really slow in drive.

If you could build a query using the v3 API query language it could be made fast, but I don’t think it is possible to express relationships of more than one level…

I'm back to fiddling with rclone. :slight_smile:

Now using:

$ rclone version
rclone v1.49.0
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.12.9

Any way to have multiple, independent appDataFolders? I'd like to dedicate one appDataFolder to a restic backend and use another appDataFolder for everything else. Using different client IDs/secrets doesn't help, e.g., with this config:

[drive0]
type = drive
scope = drive.appfolder
impersonate = <email>
client_id = <client id>
client_secret = <client secret>

[drive1]
type = drive
scope = drive.appfolder
service_account_file = <another path to json-file>
impersonate = <email>
client_id = <another client id>
client_secret = <another client secret>

I get:

$ rclone lsf drive0:
$ rclone lsf drive1:
$ rclone copy file0 drive0:
$ rclone lsf drive0:
file0
$ rclone lsf drive1:
file0

Hmm, my understanding is that you are doing the right thing... How about removing the impersonate line - if you are just wanting app folder access you shouldn't need that.

If I remove the impersonate line from each remote config, I get:

$ rclone lsf drive0:
$ rclone lsf drive1:
2019/08/27 16:02:05 ERROR : : error listing: couldn't list directory: googleapi: Error 404: File not found: ., notFound
2019/08/27 16:02:05 Failed to lsf with 2 errors: last error was: error in ListJSON: couldn't list directory: googleapi: Error 404: File not found: ., notFound

Now I'm even more confused... :confused:

Try doing rclone mkdir drive0: - does that help?

Not really:

$ rclone mkdir drive0:
$ rclone lsf drive0:
$ rclone mkdir drive1:
$ rclone lsf drive1:
2019/08/28 18:49:23 ERROR : : error listing: couldn't list directory: googleapi: Error 404: File not found: ., notFound
2019/08/28 18:49:23 Failed to lsf with 2 errors: last error was: error in ListJSON: couldn't list directory: googleapi: Error 404: File not found: ., notFound

So, I'm now using this config

[drive0]
type = drive
scope = drive.appfolder
impersonate = <email>
client_id = <client id>
client_secret = <client secret>

[crypt0]
type = crypt
remote = drive0:bfb553f0-1295-48b6-a04a-69f2ea63d8d2
password = <password>
password2 = <password2>

where drive0: contains

$ rclone lsf drive0:
bfb553f0-1295-48b6-a04a-69f2ea63d8d2/
84260d93-85b9-4b15-9ae8-49537b99130b/

i.e., two UUIDs, so as not to give up any metadata....

Anyway, I mount crypt0 with "rclone mount" and access drive0:84260d93-85b9-4b15-9ae8-49537b99130b exclusively from restic ("restic --repo rclone:drive0:84260d93-85b9-4b15-9ae8-49537b99130b"). Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Any potential issues with caching of crypt0 and concurrent restic access to drive0:84260d93-85b9-4b15-9ae8-49537b99130b?

Also, one other thing. I would like to run "rclone mount crypt0:" with the "--poll-interval=0" option, but if I do that and then run something like "rclone rc sync/move /tmp/dir crypt0:" against the rclone instance doing the mount then the contents of /tmp/dir disappears until I explicitly run "rclone rc vfs/refresh".

This behaviour is rather annoying if you're using an @Animosity022 -like setup with mergerfs and moving a dir from "local" to "remote". It seems to me that by running the "move" command through "rc", the rclone instance doing the mount has all the information it needs to update the directory cache correctly. Am I wrong?

That sounds fine. The directories don't overlap so there won't be any trouble with concurrent access.

You can give a path to vfs/refresh to make that nice and efficient.

You would have thought so, but unfortunately rclone isn't that clever yet! The move is effectively independent of the mount and it doesn't go through the VFS layer so doesn't update what the mount is seeing.

Excellent!

Yes, I guess I'll do that, though I wonder whether it'll improve correctness to replace the single move command with a sequence of commands like

rclone rc sync/copy
rclone rc vfs/refresh
rclone rc operations/delete

The current implementation is as I suspected, then. I note the word "yet" in there, though. :slight_smile: