Google Drive mounted for Plex, but REMUX files won't seek or resume (part way through)

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I have quite a large library, and I have rclone mounted on my system which is google drive. I'm using Plex however, large REMUX files won't seek, or can not resume. Although starting the movie works fine. I'm wondering if this is an issue with my mount, or something different.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.65.0

• os/version: slackware 15.0+ (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 6.1.74-Unraid (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.21.4
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount --config=/mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/rclone/rclone.conf --allow-other --buffer-size 1G --cache-dir /mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/googlecache/ --dir-cache-time 96h --no-traverse --log-level INFO --drive-impersonate admin@domain.com googledecrypted: /mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/google/

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

[google]
type = drive
scope = drive
service_account_file = /mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/rclonekeys/humbleproject-825a726988cb.json
team_drive = XXX
root_folder_id = XXX

[googledecrypted]
type = crypt
remote = google:
service_account_file = /mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/rclonekeys/humbleproject-825a726988cb.json
filename_encryption = standard
password = XXX
password2 = XXX

### Double check the config for sensitive info before posting publicly

A log from the command that you were trying to run with the -vv flag

N/A

hi,
some suggestions.

• without a debug log, no way to know what the issue is.
    so use something like --log-level DEBUG --log-file=/path/to/rclone.log

• --cache-dir by itself does nothing, need to combine that with --vfs-cache-mode
    most often, streaming from media server such as plex, would use --vfs-cache-mode full

• --buffer-size 1G - would remove that or use --buffer-size 0

• remove service_account_file from googledecrypted

Thanks for those suggestions, can I ask what the "service_account_file" does?

welcome and https://rclone.org/drive/#service-account-support

Okay I did a log, and the file in question is "Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers"

Heres the pastebin log

ok, nothing in that short log snippet. but good, the command itself looks ok for now.

you need to repoduce the issue and time that the issue occured.
then look into the debug log at that time.
really need that debug log, so that forum members can take a look.

also, need to confirm that the issue is not with your machine or plex setup?
if the movie media file is local, can plex stream it using REMUX

Local files play fine, only files that are on Google have this issue.

rclone.log (3.5 MB)

Heres the log, it doesn't resume but at the end of the log it plays from the startm fine.

that log looks ok to me, no errors, no warning, no pacer message, etc...

need to confirm

• as mentioned above, that the issue is not with your machine or plex setup?
  • your internet connection can handle I'm using Plex however, large REMUX

File name is
The.Lord.of.the.Rings.The.Two.Towers.2002.Remux-1080p.mkv

Time is around
2024/02/22 21:55:15

And yes, anyfile that is on my local disk array works fine, only files that are on google do not have this issue. When I moved this file to my local array it played, resumed and seeked fine. Only when its on the google mount does this problem occur.

Its worth noting that I am using mergefs commands to merge multiple folders together into one big folder from my rclone mount, so Plex can see them.

These are;

mergerfs -o defaults,allow_other,use_ino,fsname=mergerFS /mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/google/Data/MoviesSrc/0000/:/mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/google/Data/MoviesSrc/0001:/mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/google/Data/MoviesSrc/0002/ /mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/moviesrc/Movies/

mergerfs -o defaults,allow_other,use_ino,category.create=ff,fsname=mergerFS /mnt/user0/plexdata/:/mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/moviesrc=NC:/mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/google/Data=NC /mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/secret/

do you see my comments about things you need to confirm?

The combine backend joins remotes together into a single directory tree

This bit seems to be the bit where the resume doesn't work.

2024/02/22 21:54:29 DEBUG : /: Lookup: name="Data"
2024/02/22 21:54:29 DEBUG : /: >Lookup: node=Data/, err=<nil>
2024/02/22 21:54:29 DEBUG : Data/: Attr: 
2024/02/22 21:54:29 DEBUG : Data/: >Attr: attr=valid=1s ino=0 size=0 mode=drwxrwxrwx, err=<nil>
2024/02/22 21:54:29 DEBUG : Data/: Lookup: name="MoviesSrc"
2024/02/22 21:54:29 DEBUG : Data/: >Lookup: node=Data/MoviesSrc/, err=<nil>
2024/02/22 21:54:29 DEBUG : Data/MoviesSrc/: Attr: 
2024/02/22 21:54:29 DEBUG : Data/MoviesSrc/: >Attr: attr=valid=1s ino=0 size=0 mode=drwxrwxrwx, err=<nil>
2024/02/22 21:54:29 DEBUG : Data/MoviesSrc/: Lookup: name="0000"
2024/02/22 21:54:37 DEBUG : Data/MoviesSrc/0000/: >Lookup: node=<nil>, err=no such file or directory
2024/02/22 21:54:37 DEBUG : Data/MoviesSrc/: >Lookup: node=Data/MoviesSrc/0000/, err=<nil>
2024/02/22 21:54:37 DEBUG : Data/MoviesSrc/0000/: Attr: 
2024/02/22 21:54:37 DEBUG : Data/MoviesSrc/0000/: >Attr: attr=valid=1s ino=0 size=0 mode=drwxrwxrwx, err=<nil>
2024/02/22 21:54:37 DEBUG : /: Lookup: name="Data"
2024/02/22 21:54:37 DEBUG : /: >Lookup: node=Data/, err=<nil>
2024/02/22 21:54:37 DEBUG : Data/: Attr: 
2024/02/22 21:54:37 DEBUG : Data/: >Attr: attr=valid=1s ino=0 size=0 mode=drwxrwxrwx, err=<nil>

ok, that is good info.
i do not use plex, mergerfs or remux files.
but i think we might have enough info for others to comment...

Create your private client_id/secret as explained in google drive rclone docs.

add --vfs-cache-mode full
remove --buffer-size 1G - it is pointless at least

check documentation how to limit cache size etc.

IMO without these two steps your setup can not do what you want.

hi,

maybe you missed it, i made those two suggestions, and the OP has already remove them, in the last two debug logs.

1 Like

Yes, I've now revised my command to;

rclone mount --config=/mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/rclone/rclone.conf --allow-other --buffer-size 0 --vfs-cache-mode full --cache-dir /mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/googlecache/ --vfs-cache-max-size 250G --dir-cache-time 96h --no-traverse --log-level DEBUG --log-file=/mnt/nvme/rclonelog/rclone.log --drive-impersonate admin@jumbo.stream googledecrypted: /mnt/nvme/plexified/mounts/google/

But still getting the not able to resume a large file, or seek. Playing from the beginning of the file works fine.

I am sorry - something weird happed temporarily and all your replies disappeared. At least for me.... hmmmm. maybe some site glitch

plex+gdrive+mergerfs
maybe @Animosity022 has an idea?

remove --buffer-size 0 - simply do not use it:)
--no-traverse - not sure what it is for
add --vfs-fast-fingerprint - explanation here

And most importantly add client_id to your gdrive remote config. No cache can help you if your gdrive chokes not able to read data fast enough.

When you create your own clinet_id recreate all remote to make sure that it is in use.

i recommended not to use the buffer.
you seem to recommended to use the buffer?

Ok. I see. Either way I think it is more cosmetic - does not really make massive difference.