Google drive error 403

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

When using rclone to copy files to my google drive root folder it works without any problem, but when trying to copy files to a shared drive it gives me an 403 error saying "UserRateLimitExceeded"

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.59.0
- os/version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 10.0.19044.2364 (x86_64)
- os/type: windows
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.18.3
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone copy "folder" googledrive:(shared drive shortcut)

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[drive]
type = drive
scope = drive
token = ***
team_drive = 
server_side_across_configs = true

[encr]
type = crypt
remote = drive:Enc
password = ***
password2 = ***
server_side_across_configs = true

A log from the command with the -vv flag

2022-12-16 13:25:20 DEBUG : pacer: low level retry 3/10 (error googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded)
2022-12-16 13:25:20 DEBUG : pacer: Rate limited, increasing sleep to 1.411398237s
2022-12-16 13:25:20 DEBUG : pacer: low level retry 4/10 (error googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded)
2022-12-16 13:25:20 DEBUG : pacer: Rate limited, increasing sleep to 2.155584688s
2022-12-16 13:25:21 DEBUG : pacer: low level retry 5/10 (error googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded)
2022-12-16 13:25:21 DEBUG : pacer: Rate limited, increasing sleep to 4.689526969s
2022-12-16 13:25:23 DEBUG : pacer: low level retry 6/10 (error googleapi: Error 403: User rate limit exceeded., userRateLimitExceeded)
2022-12-16 13:25:23 DEBUG : pacer: Rate limited, increasing sleep to 8.950727805s

That's generally because you ran out of upload quota.

yeah that's what I was thinking, but I tried with different accounts and it does the same. Is it possible that my shared drives could be banned?

Banned generally means your account is gone so that seems to be a 403 upload error which means you hit your quota for the day. Try again in that 24 hours I'd imagine.

But souldn't the quota be bound to the account?
I remember hitting hit and switching to another account to finish the upload.
And it's been two days since this happened for the first time, so I don't think 24h ban is what is cousing this problem.
I even tried with a different system in a different network with different account and API keys, still same issue

The ways of Google's quotas are undocumented and support won't really give you a great answer so without waiting and seeing, that's really all you can do.

I can only say what the error means unfortunately.

Oh ok, I see.
Thank you for your time. I'll be back if I can find any fix

Ok actually I tried with another account with a completly different shared drive, still isn't working.
Maybe google having problems? (I tried directy from their website so...)
IDK

The website doesn't use the API so it's not a great test.

It's more likely you are hitting a drive quota limit as that's the error presented.

Maybe the organization who owns your shared drives is reached the limit (or was set by their admin). Google is rolling out their new policies and limits on Google Workspace for Education. So many upload limits were applied recently.
Ignore if you are not the case.

1 Like

your edu td already hit storage limit and cant upload file anymore

I bought a new subscription to Workspace, but shouldn't the shared drive have unlimited space?

It's strange tho, if I go to the admin console under Storage i see this:

Btw, sorry this is kinda off topic, but if anyone want to help me out understand this I appreciate it.

try normal upload see if it work

It's now working, but I needed to purchase another workspace account. But do you know if shared drive have unlimited capacity even in Workspace Standard?

You need minimum 5 users for unlimited

Even with a Workspace Standard?

Yes. But I might be wrong. The official pricing page is vague and reddit gives me different information. Looks like enterprise is the way for unlimited (according to official pricing page)

Yeah I saw that, but going into the docs for shared drives they specifically tell that they have an limited amount of items but not storage.

Even saw some ppl that saw their limit increase automatically when reaching it. IDK

Hi! I'm having the same issue - can't copy anything to a team drive due to a 403 error. It applies to both my team drives. I have created new private keys etc. to no avail. It started about a week ago. Did you manage to find a solution or is it still not working?