Correct, ncw. It had to do with the way the variables were in use, not the program. That’s why I went out of my way to say it was my fault alone.
I didn’t want to go into the long story, and I don’t expect any new development on the issue I experienced.
So, here’s the long story:
I had a setup with plexdrive. I’m moving to rclone with caching now that it is working very well.
I have a drive mounted with rclone mount GDriveCacheCrypt:/ /mnt/disks/GDriveCacheCrypt/
I have another set of scripts with variables which call /mnt/disks/GDriveCacheCrypt to move things in and out of a staging directory at /mnt/disks/Staging.
I have these directories mounted with a unionfs to /mnt/disks/UnionFS/
I had a script that ran rclone move /mnt/disks/Staging/ GDriveCrypt:/
Unfortunately, my script called a variable for $Staging, which I neglected to notice…
I changed the staging variable to GDriveCacheCrypt:/ Things did not go well after that. I had the rclone move setup so it would check the file if it existed and was newer, do nothing, but delete the file from $Staging…
This is the actual script that ran:
rclone move $Staging/Media/ GDriveCrypt:/Media/ --transfers=12 --checkers=24 --min-age 1m --buffer-size 150M --no-traverse --bwlimit=“06:00,3M 00:00,3M” --fast-list --tpslimit 1 --tpslimit-burst 2 -v
So, you see, $Staging/Media became /mnt/disks/GDriveCacheCrypt/Media/, and the rest is history. It tried to move the file, only to find that when it deleted to overwrite the file, the original was mysteriously gone.
Again, I can only blame myself for this. There is nothing that could have been expected of rclone to protect me in this instance. Garbage in, garbage out.