Creating windows backup directly to mount

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Trying to make macrium windows-backups directly to mount

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.52.2

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

windows 10 pro x64

I tried using a microsoft sysinternal application called psexec, i successfully mounted a drive with the SYSTEM account (i believe), but when running the backup of my windows directly to the mount, it will not work.

Should it work? So I know if i should continue trying

Thanks

hello,

when you posted, you should have been asked for information?

you need to describe that in detail?

Hello and thank you.
Could you maybe describe how you yourself mount as system account? Would appreciate it

to run a script as system user, i have used psexec but i use task scheduler.

i mount to a folder, not to a drive letter
rclone mount media: b:\mount\rclone\media --vfs-cache-mode=full --rc --read-only --attr-timeout=1000h --dir-cache-time=1000h --poll-interval=0 --log-file=log.mount.media.txt --log-level=DEBUG

when i need jellyfin to scan my media, i prime the mount first, as per @VBB
Google Drive, Plex, Windows 10

1 Like

Thx alot!
Mounting to a folder works, but what if i want a drive letter, you wouldnt happend to know why it doesnt show it up windows explorer even though it mounts? And a workaround/fix?

what is your mount command

what user are you mounting as?

let's say the mount letter is x:
as a test, open two command prompts and run dir x:

• one prompt with admin rights
  • one prompt without admin rights.

i can run dir X: on the prompt with admin rights, so i guess listing in windows isnt being run as admin even though im logged in as admin?

rclone.exe mount GDriveEncrypted: X: --bwlimit 8500 --allow-other --rc --attr-timeout 8700h --dir-cache-time 8760h --poll-interval 30s --max-read-ahead 5G --buffer-size 4G --fast-list --volname GDRIVE_CRYPT --vfs-cache-mode off --drive-chunk-size 512M --log-file D:\log.txt --config "C:\rclone.conf"

edit: im mounting as SYSTEM via task scheduler like u said

windows explorer does not run with admin rights and that is a good thing.

if you mount as system user, then every process can see it, including windows explorer.
if windows explorer does not see the mount, then you are doing something wrong.

-allow-other does nothing on windows, do you can remove it.

I now noticed that i did not in fact run it as the system account.
How exactly does one create a scheduled task with a certain mount command? Im aksing because clearly im doing it wrong.

Actions -> start program -> a .bat file with rclone.exe mount commands?
Actions -> start program -> choose rclone.exe and add the mount commands as arguments?

you can do it both ways.
i always use a batch file with rclone.exe mount commands.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.