Continuing an encrypted upload on a different computer

So, I’ve discovered that my problem is that I’m attempting to upload to an existing encrypted folder from a new computer, meaning that I created a directory and uploaded lots of data to it on an old computer, all of which even file name was encrypted, and now when I try to upload encrypted data to that same directory from a new computer it instead creates a new directory with a duplicate name, so I am unable to continue uploading to the old directory but have to create an entirely new one. Is there anyway to upload to the old directory, which I created on a different computer, from my new one even though it is encrypted? I’m using the copy command, should I instead use the sync command or something else?

**The directory in question is on Amazon Drive

Just swap the .rclone.conf file to the new computer. Then you can run the same command.

Do rclone -h and look for --config string. That will show you where the config file is at.

1 Like

I’m trying to do something similar but I have two different PCs with rclone setup differently on each. I just want to add the encrypted drive to the other computer. Can I just edit the config and copy that particular listing in the config file and paste it to the other config file?

Bigger question. What if I encrypted a bunch of stuff using rclone then my config got wiped. How would someone be able to reestablish the rclone encryption to decrypt or add more files without the original config file?

For both questions, it’s just a matter of having the same password and salt in both config files. When you don’t add a salt manually, rclone generates one for you. If you keep both your password and salt in a safe place, you can configure the same encrypted remote in different computers, and configure it again shall you lose your config file.

I personally keep my passwords and salts in 1Password.

Thank you, makes sense.
Is there anyway I could guess my password? In the sense what if I don’t remember it when I reestablish the drive. I don’t mean someone trying to maliciously brute force it. How do I know when I got it right? I guess I would keep trying until the files come out unencrypted?

I am not entirely sure, but keep in mind that you would also have to brute-force the salt, which won’t be as easy because it’s very random and it’s also a very long string (provided you didn’t provide your own salt). You are basically brute-forcing two passwords that have to match.

I strongly urge you to backup up your config file or yout password/salt combinations.