Cloud sided decryption

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Trying to find a way to decrypt content on Google Drive

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

latest (1.53.3)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 10 / Android 9

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

As you can see form the title and template, i'm trying to decrypt encrypted content on google drive. Ideally, the decryption should be done without any data transfer which, personally, i don't thing it's possible. At least i want it to automatically download, decrypt and upload to the same folder (maybe specified folder by user) where is the encrypted original. The reasons i want it to be without any data transfer are:

• Mobile data networks (download and upload to the phone and from the phone would take a lot of data; depends on how big or many file/s i want to decrypt)
  • Creation date - well...not a big deal, i will live with creation date edited by re-uploading...

Do anyone have working solution?

RClone is the thing doing the encryption and decryption so you can't do anything without moving it through rclone which requires a download / upload to read or write the data.

1 Like

Oh well. First of all, thank you for fast reply. Maybe i can set up RPI as decryption service so it can download, decrypt and upload stuff without eating up my mobile data.

some rcloners use a free virtual machine hosted by google.
you can run rclone on that

https://cloud.google.com/compute
"All customers get a general purpose machine (f1-micro instance) per month for free, not charged against your credits."

1 Like

EPIC! That's basically part of the solution! Didn't know google offers services like this for free (even for small projects, for my use, it will be more than enough). Thank you!

i do not know too much about it.

you might start a new post, asking for advice from other rcloners.

i could be wrong but google does not charge a fee for data usage, as long as the vm uses google storage.
with that free vm, if you start uploading/downloading from outside the google platform, they will charge you.

1 Like

Thank you again! Really helped me!

did you know that rclone can run on an android phone?

yep, i'm running it on android... At least...mount for google drive

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.