Can I use Rclone to clone my boot drive to another local hard drive?

The permanent load-order is the one you want to change, so probably the "switch all" button next to it on the first image I imagine? Although it should work just fine to drag them with the mouse as it suggest though.

The problem with image#1 is that
the Windows boot manager for kingston (#2 from top) is before windows boot manager for CT1000 (#3 from top). This will effectively cause Kingston to be booted first. To correct this, put the windows boot manager for CT1000 at the top.

If that results in an infinite load then the booting is probably working, but something is not right about the disk-clone I would assume... something might have been done wrongly with that. Acronis is a solid tool, but it's been a while since I used it so I'm not sure I can provide detailed support on how to use that program spesifically.

What? No? The CT1000 is at the top on the first image (The one where I dont have the Boot menu screen up)

Also the Switch all button just extends the list (For if you have more drives than what can be displayed in the list you see in the image), and the drives appear in the same order in the list that opens if you press that button so

"boot menu" is just a "boot override" one-time selection. This is not what you want to use. This is used to one-time boot installation disks and the like, not to change the permanent priority-order.

as asdffdsa suggests, the idiot-proof way of forcing the load-order is just to disconnect the SATA connection on the old drive temporarily. That isn't necessary, but it sure works. At least then you can test for sure if your cloned disk work correctly or not.

At least then you can test for sure if your cloned disk work correctly or not.

Yeah well I think that Windows "Checking C: … " thing messed up the cloned drive somehow, so I will probably have to re-run Acronis and see if that fix the issue

And yeah I guess I could just do what asdffdsa suggests but I rather not open up the chassi more than whats necessary (I've damaged laptop ram memories before, so Im not very keen on working inside the chassi too much for that reason)

Note that there are 4 entries here. 2 for each disk.
A system partition (Windows boot manager for P2 CT1000)
and a storage partition (P2 CT 1000)

I'm pretty sure you need to boot the boot-manager and the storage partition will just be skipped over (and thus landing on the boot manager for Kingston, which is #2 on your list. It will never reach Boot manager for windows P2 CT1000 - because that is #3 on the list.

Put "Windows boot manager (P2: Ct1000)" at the top.

Is that understandable?

Oh lol, I didnt even see that second CT1000 in the list. Lmao thanks, I will try that right away, and if it works I will re-clone the drive to fix it again.

I will need to figure out what causes that "Checking C: …." thing tho, because I cant have it like that I need to press a key every time I boot my PC or else my drive gets corrupted, lmao

I will go eat dinner now and try putting the second CT1000 to nr.2 on the list and see if that does it onceI come back <3 Lmao thanks again-

Sure, but that's a separate issue. one step at a time...

Alright Im back, changing the boot priority now, so brb again

Just a quick note: The "checking C:" thing you got while attempting to manually boot may also have been related to booting the wrong volume. I am not exactly sure what happens in that case. I doubt windows would have destroyed anything, but it may have been very confused by not seeing what it expected and thus ran a checkdisk on the filesystem to see if there were any errors.

You may not have to re-clone is what I'm saying.

Sorry about the language, its Swedish, once again it was the tech guys at the hardware store that first installed the OS, so even tho my system is currently set to English, some things are still in Swedish as that is what they set the primary language to be when they installed it

So dragging the second CT1000 to the very top of the list did it :smiley: This time however when I boot on the new drive this screen appears saying

"Välj ett alternativ" - "Choose an option"
"Continue" "Shut down the system"
"Use a unit - Use a USB unit…"
"Search for errors"

And if I select "Search for errors" it asks me to restore the PC and what files I wanna keep while doing so (Which I dont wanna do as I got some important files on this PC).

So I restarted my PC, went to the boot manager in the BIOS and booted of my old drive, now however I get this "Checking C: …." thing on this drive instead (A little scary if I fail to press any key on the time given :S ), but Im guessing that all I have to do now is clone my drive again using Acronis and (hopefully) everything should be fine

Just a quick note: The "checking C:" thing you got while attempting to manually boot may also have been related to booting the wrong volume. I am not exactly sure what happens in that case. I doubt windows would have destroyed anything, but it may have been very confused by not seeing what it expected and thus ran a checkdisk on the filesystem to see if there were any errors.
You may not have to re-clone is what I'm saying.

Well with Windows asking me to repair the drive when attempting to boot from it, it sorta seems like it have corrupted it somehow, so I will just clone it again and see if that does it (only took 10-14 mins last time so it doesnt really matter time vice anyways)

Btw, Ive already started cloning, just 6 mins left from now

This is the Windows service menu, so we are booting the right thing I think. Choosing "fortsatt" should take you into normal windows startup (assuming everything is otherwise working correctly). It is normal to be kicked into this menu if you had problems booting normally - as from here you can do various things like repair the installation ect. ect. So this is not all that strange given that you had some issues earlier trying to boot the main partition directly.

I kind of doubt windows would do anything destructive to the disks, but since we are not entirely sure what happened here earlier it might be the safest thing to just re-clone it to be certain. The worst that happens from that is you waste 15minutes after all :slight_smile:

After cloning I think the best thing to do would be to start the system with only the new SSD plugged in (only the SATA cable needs to be unplugged on the old drive) and make sure that works first - before adding the second drive (and then double-checking the boot-order to ensure it is correct). That way we just eliminate some potential issues and do it the safest possible way.

I tried choosing fortsätt/continue as well, but then my system would just restart and bring me back to the same screen (Tried clicking it multiple times even :stuck_out_tongue: )

The cloning is now complete :smiley:

Should I try to boot from it?

you just need to follow the 4 steps exactly,

sure. Try it without the old SSD connected ideally (disconnect SATA). Let's make sure the clone works first and foremost before adding any additional factors to the equation.

Like I said earlier, I rather not open the chassis more times than what I have to :v

well it's not strictly required to disconnect the old drive (although this should be quite trivial and there is very little you could damage in that part of the PC), but it would make the process less prone to confusion since you are new to this.

up to you to decide how you want to proceed. I can only advise you.

If you do decide to keep them both connected - definitely re-check the boot-order before booting

Alright well, brb then