Can I use Rclone to clone my boot drive to another local hard drive?

So I tried booting Acronis which of course detected the drive and let me clone it.

Now when I went into my BIOS to change the boot drive and press save & exit however, it tells me that Ive made no changes in the BIOS and when I try booting it boots my pc on my old drive :l

Any idea what whats up?

after you clone, remove the 'old' drive.

I will use it for extra storage space, but I dont wanna uninstall anything before I tested out the new drive for a few days

So like, apparently theres an option called "Boot drive" (At least I believe thats what it was called) which let me pick a drive to boot on 1 time, and when I did that the system booted on the new drive trouble free.

However when I then restart my system it will just boot on the old drive so it doesnt work as a permanent solution

Something I wrote for ASUS support: (Waiting for a tech guy in there web support rn)

"Hi, I've installed a new SSD which I wish to make my new boot drive, however when I go into the BIOS (In EZ mode) and drag the new drive to the top of the list and click Save & Exit it tells me that I havent made any changes to the BIOS, and when I try booting my PC afterwards it boots up on my old drive.

However then I tried clicking a button below the Boot priority list which I believe said simply boot drive and selected my new drive, it would boot of the new drive without issues (That one time). But this doesnt seem to make the new drive the default boot drive each time I start the PC as my PC booted of my old drive when I tried restarting it
"

I dont think anyone is gonna get on the line tho, I've been in place 3 for close to 30 mins now ;-;

Not to be pushy but I still haven't figured this out, I sent a mail to asus support but havent got any answers yet.

So I would appreciate some advice if you know where the issue lays <3 I already got the drive booted once so I know that it works, I just need to figure out how to make my PC boot from it by default instead of the old drive (without unplugging or uninstalling Windows from the old one as I wanna keep it as a backup for now)

Sorry for missing your message. I've been a little out of it for the last days...

Does your drive show up in the BIOS at all? If so then everything is probably ok.
The most common cause of confusion is simply that Windows by default does not display empty and un-allocated disks. You will have to allocate it before it shows up as usuable space (which is super simple so don't worry).

This is done in windows.
open your windows search and search for either "disk management" (slightly older windows) or "create and format hard disk partitions) Windows 10.

Hopefully your disk will show up here - displayed in gray or black as "unallocated"
Rightclick on the corresponding "box" and choose "new simple volume". Just leave all settings as default and just make sure it has the checkbox for "quick format" enabled - although this should be on be default also. You do not need to change any settings - except you may want to set a name and select a driveletter of your choosing. Otherwise you can just go next-next-next through the guide. Once the process starts it should take less than a minute to complete (usually nearly instant on newer hardware) - and after that you should be able to see and use the drive normally.

If on the other hand your drive does NOT show up here at all then we have a different issue we need to troubleshoot - so let me know if that is the case. Feel free to share a picture if you are confused about what to do or if you aren't sure if you see your disk. It should hopefully be fairly obvious as it will look different from all the rest.

Hmm.. maybe I misunderstood the first and foremost problem here regarding booting the disk though. Sorry, a bit woozy.

This should just be a fairly simple operation of adjusting the boot-priority list in the BIOS.
Care to send me a picture of that screen (from your phone for example) so I can see how that looks? It is almost certainly just a simple mistake leading to the change not being saved.

Sorry for missing your message. I've been a little out of it for the last days…

Its okay xD Youre the first to help me with this anyway so.

Does your drive show up in the BIOS at all? If so then everything is probably ok.

Yeah it does, theres something called Boot Priority in my Bios (ASUS Bios v.2202) which lets me choose the order of the drives my pc will attempt booting from and I've alreadya dragged the new drive to the top of the list, which what I thought would make my new drive my new OS drive, however this doesnt seem to do much, first when I boot the system after doing this it shows me 2 underscore lines on the screen (Which I dont remember it doing before) and then it just boots from my old OS drive

The most common cause of confusion is simply that Windows by default does not display empty and un-allocated disks. You will have to allocate it before it shows up as usuable space (which is super simple so don't worry).
This is done in windows.
open your windows search and search for either "disk management" (slightly older windows) or "create and format hard disk partitions) Windows 10.
Hopefully your disk will show up here - displayed in gray or black as "unallocated"
Rightclick on the corresponding "box" and choose "new simple volume". Just leave all settings as default and just make sure it has the checkbox for "quick format" enabled - although this should be on be default also. You do not need to change any settings - except you may want to set a name and select a driveletter of your choosing. Otherwise you can just go next-next-next through the guide. Once the process starts it should take less than a minute to complete (usually nearly instant on newer hardware) - and after that you should be able to see and use the drive normally.
If on the other hand your drive does NOT show up here at all then we have a different issue we need to troubleshoot - so let me know if that is the case. Feel free to share a picture if you are confused about what to do or if you aren't sure if you see your disk. It should hopefully be fairly obvious as it will look different from all the rest.

But will this let me make my new drive my OS drive tho? Like, what I have done so far is cloned my old drive to my new drive and now I wish to make the new one my OS drive and keep the old drive as a backup in case my new drive messes up or something (Just a precaution). What Crucials guide tells you to do is simply plugging out the old drive and plugging in the new one in the old ones port but if its possible to do this just software wise, I would sorta prefer it that way

I will restart and send you a picture <3 brb

When you set the SSD as the primary boot drive (either number 1 and/or top of the list) does it stay there if you restart and check the BIOS again?

Are you using the mouse to move it? See if you can use the keyboard instead just to prevent any confusion. I am not sure exactly what keys are used, but in UEFI it's usually fairly intuitive like [ENTER] and arrowkeys.

When you go to exit - do that from the "exitt" menu and choose "save and reset" to make sure the changes are committed.

When you set the SSD as the primary boot drive (either number 1 and/or top of the list) does it stay there if you restart and check the BIOS again?

Yes, its still there even after restart

Are you using the mouse to move it? See if you can use the keyboard instead just to prevent any confusion. I am not sure exactly what keys are used, but in UEFI it's usually fairly intuitive like [ENTER] and arrowkeys.

Yeah my BIOS has something called EZ mode, which lets me use my mouse to change some basic settings

When you go to exit - do that from the "exitt" menu and choose "save and reset" to make sure the changes are committed.

You mean save and exit right? Because yeah, I did use that when exiting the BIOS when I first changing the order of the boot priority list

screenshot 2 seems to be the correct order - assuming the Kingston 240GB disk is the SDD.

The 240 Kingston is the old one, the 1TB Crucial is the new one, both are SSDs

Ooh, well in that case it's not correct. The Window boot manager for the CT1000 should be at the top of the list (but feel free to set the CT1000 partition as #2 from the top to be safe). The priority order goes from the top, not the bottom.

So in fact, neither of your 2 images show the order as correct if your are trying to use CT1000 as the primary boot device.

The second screenshot (The one with the boot menu) appears when you press Boot menu in the bottom r ight of the screen and only lets me boot of a drive once.

When Windows boots of the new drive tho, something in style with "Press any key to skip disk checking" appeared, yesterday I then pressed a key to skip that and the drive booted successfully (Im sure it actually booted from the new drive because I went into system information and saw that the C: drive had a total of about 1TB disk space).

Today (Like, right when I took thoe pictures) I didnt press any key and then the "Fixing C: Stage X:" messages appeared and when it was complete it would restart my system and boot of my old drive, then when I tried going back ino the BIOS to attempt booting of the new drive again I got the spinning wheel of death (Blue spinning cursor) on a black screen and got stuck on that for several mins until I restarted my pc again.

So like, Idk what that "Fixing" stuff did, but I dont seem to be able to boot of the drive now :V (Might have to re-clone it again)

Ooh, well in that case it's not correct. The Window boot manager for the CT1000 should be at the top of the list (but feel free to set the CT1000 partition as #2 from the top to be safe). The priority order goes from the top, not the bottom.
So in fact, neither of your 2 images show the order as correct if your are trying to use CT1000 as the primary boot device.

Wdym? The "Boot menu" screen doesnt let me change order of the drives, I can just click on one and my system will boot of that drive just once

Its only the boot priority one that lets me change the order of the drives, tho Im not certain if it works or not, and on that one, the CT1000 or MX500 (Which is the product name) is already on the top on that one

Also, my OS was first installed by some tech guys on the hardware store that I bought the PC parts from, so Idk if they did something funny to force the 240GB Sandisk to be the primary boot drive that overrides the boot priority list or something

1. remove the old drive.
  2. boot into bios.
  3. set primary boot device to the new hard drive.
  4. plug old drive into computer.
  5. computer will boot into new drive.