Can files deleted from the Finder in macOS be recovered in any way?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Is it possible to recover files that were deleted from a mount in macOS Finder?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

macOS 11.1

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive crypt

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

My mount command:

rclone cmount gdrive_crypt: /Users/macgyver/gdrive_mount --buffer-size 128M --vfs-cache-mode full --dir-cache-time 1h --vfs-cache-max-age 3h --vfs-read-chunk-size=32M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit=2G --log-level INFO --log-file=mylog.txt

You should find deleted files in the gdrive trash if you are using the default setting in the google drive remote. Take a look on the web interface and see if you can see them.

You could also mount with --drive-use-trash temporarily to see the trash - though don't mount with --vfs-cache-mode full use --vfs-cache-mode off if you want to try this as it will confuse rclone otherwise. You could mount this on a different directory,

Actually I think this will do the trick:

Whew, this seems like it will work great. One question, I tried setting --drive-server-side-across-configs in both mount commands hoping it would do a server-side move as I move files from trash back to their original locations but it isn't. I set the flag on both mount commands. Is there a way to do this or does it only work usingrclone commands?

Server side moves won't work between mounts I'm afraid.

Probably the easiest way of untrashing stuff is using the rclone backend untrash command

untrash

Untrash files and directories

rclone backend untrash remote: [options] [<arguments>+]

This command untrashes all the files and directories in the directory
passed in recursively.

Usage:

This takes an optional directory to trash which make this easier to
use via the API.

rclone backend untrash drive:directory
rclone backend -i untrash drive:directory subdir

Use the -i flag to see what would be restored before restoring it.

Result:

{
    "Untrashed": 17,
    "Errors": 0
}

Thanks! Is it true this won't work yet for crypt? Checking this thread I didn't know if it was available to work on crypt in 1.53.3.

rclone backend -i untrash gdrive_crypt:/directory_to_untrash
2021/01/08 15:08:36 Failed to backend: command "untrash" failed: command not found

You'll have to do a bit more work to get it to work with crypt, something like

$ rclone backend encode gdrive_crypt: directory_to_untrash
ng66h7sg71tdkit192cabn9qjo

Then use that random string in the underlying remote which I've assumed is gdrive:secrets - substitute what it really is!

rclone backend -i untrash gdrive:secrets/ng66h7sg71tdkit192cabn9qjo

Thank you so much for your help! I will aim to never delete something accidentally from a remote again, although this was fun to dig in to :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.