Best practice for integrating Rclone and BorgBackup?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm wondering how to best integrate Reclone with BorgBackup. I'm looking for an option which can use any of Rclones supported cloud services as a destination of BorgBackup without having to store a local backup of the BorgBackup (not having to allocate space for it).

(I've read up on both Github and this forum and see that using rclone mount is potentially unstable as a solution. Wondering if that has changed and/or if there is an option to somehow run rclone sync file by file without having to keep a copy of the full BorgBackup locally.)

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

v1.56.0

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu 20.02

There are lots of discussions around the web about this. The long and short of it seems to be that you could do it in an rclone mount and it'll work well...until it doesn't.

I ended up just using rclone itself with --backup-dir but it is far from as good as Borg and the like for dated snapshots and pruning.

Out of curiosity, is there something about Borg that you won't get with restic? Restic supports many backends natively and then the rest through rclone. There is also Duplicacy which I hear good things about.

Answering my own question: I like that Borg supports rewriting to totally erase stuff that has been backed up while restic does not offer this.

I have also looked at borg-specific hosting and may consider it. But there is also something really nice about the simplicity, even if at the cost of efficiency and features, of rclone directly with the files.

1 Like

rclone doesn't play well with borg
rclone have been thoroughly tested with restic
you'd be lucky if you could switch
that's all i know

1 Like

I see, I wasn't aware of restic as an option. So it looks like using restic with rclone would be an alternative that would suit my needs. No local copy needed? As I understand it.

That’s correct. Restic can do many back ends without rclone but can also use rclone as a backend and do the rest. Some people use rclone even with supported back ends for a consistent interface.

You can, but do not need, to use rclone crypt with restic as restic does its own encryption.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.