Best mount settings for streaming ( Plex )

is node-gdrive-fuse safe? I have around 2.2tb drive and havent had any issues with it sofar. Should i transfer to plexdrive?

It just isnā€™t as ā€œsolidā€ as rclone was for me. Not to mention itā€™s just another program to add to the mix. I like to keep things simple.

im new by plexdrive and i have a issues with plexdrive. After a couple of hours i have errors in the logfile and the mount path is invisible (WinScp). After a reboot is all ok and plexdrive works for a couple of hours again.

e[0mpanic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference
[signal SIGSEGV: segmentation violation code=0x1 addr=0x20 pc=0x7c0b08]

goroutine 2548182 [running]:
main.deleteOldestFile.func1(0xc421555dd0, 0x28, 0x0, 0x0, 0xd646e0, 0xc421555e30, 0x0, 0x0)
/go/src/github.com/dweidenfeld/plexdrive/buffer.go:271 +0x38
path/filepath.walk(0xc4201d4480, 0xb, 0xd6b2a0, 0xc42062c410, 0xc424072aa0, 0x0, 0x20)
/usr/local/go/src/path/filepath/path.go:372 +0x2fe
path/filepath.Walk(0xc4201d4480, 0xb, 0xc424072aa0, 0x8ed800, 0x0)
/usr/local/go/src/path/filepath/path.go:398 +0x14c
main.deleteOldestFile(0xc4201d4480, 0xb, 0x2befbf6bbf, 0x0)
/go/src/github.com/dweidenfeld/plexdrive/buffer.go:279 +0x119
main.cleanChunkDir(0xc4201d4480, 0xb, 0x20, 0xc420566060)
/go/src/github.com/dweidenfeld/plexdrive/buffer.go:257 +0x98
main.(*Buffer).ReadBytes.func2()
/go/src/github.com/dweidenfeld/plexdrive/buffer.go:170 +0x3d
created by main.(*Buffer).ReadBytes
/go/src/github.com/dweidenfeld/plexdrive/buffer.go:174 +0x1393
e[36m[USR/BIN/PLEXDRIVE] [2017-05-29 18:00] INFO : Mounting path /media/plexdrive/
e[0me[36m[USR/BIN/PLEXDRIVE] [2017-05-29 18:00] INFO : Using clear-by-size method for chunk cleaning
e[0me[36m[USR/BIN/PLEXDRIVE] [2017-05-29 18:00] INFO : First cache build process startedā€¦
e[0m2017/05/29 18:00:01 mount helper error: fusermount: failed to access mountpoint /media/plexdrive: Transport endpoint is not connected

Mountsettings:

/usr/bin/plexdrive $MPOINT \
                   -o allow_other,read_only \
                   --clear-chunk-max-size=100G \
                 --clear-chunk-age=24h \
                 --chunk-size=20M \
                 -v 2 &>>$LOGFILE &

Someone knows this error ?

EDIT: i use the mountscript from ajki :slight_smile:

turns out those options are mutually exclusive. (plexdrive readme was just updated a few days ago).

so just drop the

and it will be fine. it is still going to manage it by age, when 100G are reached.

edit: there seems to be another bug in chunk management. but with those settings changed, it happens less often. last time after 48h.
apparently it got fixed in the repository already. should be part of the next release of plexdrive.

1 Like

Hi all I just having a look at Plexdrive and keep on getting
[PLEXDRIVE] [2017-05-31 22:58] ERROR : Could not initialize cache

any idea what Iā€™m missing?

Is the script working for you? Iā€™m having PlexDrive crash and itā€™s not auto re-mounting. Iā€™m having to reboot the server daily and my content keeps disappearing and reappearing. When it works itā€™s awesome and quick! Just frustrating that my Plex server goes into overdrive constantly having to re-scan to add content in that disappears.

yeaā€¦ im having the same issues with plexdriveā€¦

im just switching to rclone and every once in a while use plexdrive to update library (would not be so bad cet plexdrive then has to rebuild the cache) : (

has anyone tried google-drive-ocamlfuseā€¦ ?
does it work any better than plexdrive?
and keep the api bans at bay

Probably best if you post an issue on the github and explain the problem and folks will help you out.

Plexdrive is good in theory but doesnt come anywhere near being ready for use in my opinion.

Issues iā€™ve seen are

1> --chunk-size-age and chunksizeduration flags cause an impossible condition which causes the mount to crash
2> default temp location of /tmp specified which caused my whole linux server to crash (Hve since found the --temp-dir flag which caused another issue)
3> Chunk temp storage location never cleaned out. Consumed 90GB of hard drive space (The solution provided was to use a 3rd party script to clean out the folder, Which works, But is tedious)
4> mount cache directory half populated. failed to build cache. twice. had to delete all plexdrive related data and start again
5> SLOW. SLOW SLOW SLOW. buffering, stuttering, generally sub-optimal performance.

The people who are saying plexdrive is a worthy replacement for rclone must either have very small libraries or an exceedingly large amount of patience. I get that it is still fairly new compared to things like rclone and acd_cli but seriously, its not quite ready for its intended purpose yet. When it becomes ready iā€™m all over it, But that time is not now.

1. Try just use the ā€”chunk-size-age and that works best, mine is set to 7days and it keep deleting the chunk after that.
  2. I never had issue with that flag, but itā€™s better report your bug on the Slack channel or report it in the Github
  3. Chunk storage is depend on your usage, mine I have pretty much big library (70Tb) and I set it only with age and it will clean up after 7days, but if you donā€™t have much space on your computer, you can lower that.
  4. I donā€™t have problem with cache file, itā€™s pretty much fast to build, itā€™s very fast with V3.1.0 (which hasnā€™t released yet)
  5. Itā€™s not slow, it might not have pretty fast start, but it have good buffer, Iā€™ve been using ocamlfuse too and this one is way better, as for shuttering, itā€™s depend on which version of OS you using, for me, because I use macOS, version 2.1.0 is the latest version I can go, which after that, cause problem, which I havenā€™t figure out why. But other people on the Linux never had problems with newer version.

whats your exact plexdrive command?

ive tried 2 and 3 and it randomly unmounts every few hours and large files only play for 5 secsā€¦
baffling.

This is the command iā€™m using in the script mentioned above

/usr/sbin/plexdrive-linux-amd64 $MPOINT \
                   -o allow_other,read_only \
                   --clear-chunk-max-size=100G \
                   --chunk-size=30M \
                   -v 2 &>>$LOGFILE &

The last 12 hours has been stable and tonight at one point 6 streams were going with no slowness. In fact, when clicking on a show (Apple TV) it would start instantly in most cases and on others within 2 to 3 seconds. This is much better than what I was getting on Amazon with rclone.

Will keep an eye on it overnight and see if the mount stays up.

thatā€™s EXACTLY the one i used at firstā€¦ it was just too flaky : (

you dont have issues with unmounting randomly or files larger than say 30gbs playing more than 5 seconds

There is a new release upcoming, fixing a bug in chunk management. That should resolve the unmounting.
Also if you used different mount settings, you may have to clear the chunk cache before using different mount options. In case the reference/index is corrupted from the previous (may faulty) settings.

1 Like

clear means delete the folder? :smiley:

i purged all data in the folder and also dropped the entire ~/.plexdrive folder and started from scratch!

edit: since i dropped the cache and used just one of the chunk retention options, there has been no unmounting for 72 hours. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What is your exact command?

./plexdrive-linux-amd64 -v 3 -o allow_other,read_only -t /data/tmp --clear-chunk-max-size=100G --chunk-size=30M /mnt/gdrive01-crypt > plexdrive.log 2>&1

1 Like

@David_M

This is what Iā€™m using

./plexdrive --chunk-size=30M --clear-chunk-age=10080m -t /Volumes/Backup/plexdrive -v 2 -c ~/.plex --refresh-interval=1m ./mtng

But remember my chunk size is depend on my internet speed too (I have 1Gbps) and that give me good kick back on the playback and itā€™s smooth and good buffer.

Also Iā€™m on the 2.1.0, because I canā€™t use the newer version and that havenā€™t failed on me so far.

any eta on the new releaseā€¦ ?
hate to spend another 12 hours rebuilding the cache only to find the next release is out the net day : ) : (