Work around for limitation on mounting google docs, or an alternative to rclone that lets me live sync google drive and nextcloud

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

My goal is to sync nextcloud and google drive. so if someone makes a google doc, I / my team can edit it in nextcloud, and have those changes synced over to the google doc, and vice versa.

Currently, rclone has a known issue which prevents this from being possible: Google drive and I would like to know if there is a work around of some sort. It says "Whether it will work on not depends on the application accessing the mount and the OS you are running - experiment to find out if it does work for you!". Well, I experimented for a while and was not able to get it to work, so I uninstalled it, because I dont have a lot of space on the server and I was assuming I could find an alternative method of syncing.

But I cant find one. As such, I am asking if anyone has successfully managed to do live syncing of google docs with rclone and nextcloud.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

Currently rclone is not installed on the server.

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

According to my notes I ran:

rclone mount googdrive2: /home/gdrive --copy-links --no-gzip-encoding --no-check-certificate --allow-other --allow-non-empty --drive-shared-with-me --umask 000

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Empty, rclone removed from server.

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Empty, rclone removed from server.

RClone mount and Google Docs really don't work well together.

You'd probably have to use sync and keep both remotes the same.

Not sure if Bisync (rclone.org) might be what you want.

Could you expand on this a bit? Like, create two rclone commands, one for gdrive and one for the locoal directory?

Not sure if Bisync (rclone.org) might be what you want.

maybe, whats the difference between bisync and mount?

I really don't know your use case and exactly how you'd want things to flow.

sync - one direction from A->B
bisync - both directions A<->B

You can sync/bisync from NextCloud(A) to Drive (B) depending on your flow and you'd want to happen.

bisync is a bidirectional command that is like copy/move/sync/etc

mount is presenting a remote to the host OS as a drive. Google Drive and mounts don't work well unfortunately with Google Docs.

bisync is a bidirectional command that is like copy/move/sync/etc

Neat, I'll give that a try!

I really don't know your use case and exactly how you'd want things to flow.

I'm not sure how I want things to "flow", per say, just want to do collaborative work on the same document in both nextcloud and google docs, since our organization is very strongly anti-google (and most of us use tor as our main browser and google stuff and tor do not mix well) but we work with a lot of other orgs and people who are very, very deep in the google ecosystem, and we need a way to interoperate and collaborate.

If somone shares a google doc with me, It should pop up in nextcloud, where I should be able to edit it, and then the person who sent me the file can see those changes as soon as they are made (or with at most a couple of seconds of delay, otherwise we would not be able to work on shared notes), the same way they would see edits made by another person using a browser.

That's the outcome I want. How we get there is not super important to me, as long as its foss and self hosted.

How I had it setup before was I used rclone mount to make a /home/gdrive foulder that synced with google drive.

Then with nextcloud (which runs on the same server) I use the "external storage" feature to mount that directory in nextcloud.

It worked good for everything with a file extensions, but tbh it was not great, since even then they would have to refresh the page on their end to see changes we made on our end, but thats not a deal breaker per se.

Rclone isn't a realtime sync tool so not sure that would ever work imo.

You'd have to sync two remotes on some schedule but not sure what would meet your needs either. You could run every few minutes or something I suppose.

Rclone and a Google Drive Mount with Google Docs really just doesn't work well enough to be used for a business function.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.