Windows explorer not responding

Every time I launch file manager, it just doesn't respond. Not only that, but windows explorer also freezes if file managers does, so I can't even open task manager. Certain windows will also stay frozen. Unsure what the cause of it could be as I didn't do any changes to my PC since last night when it last worked. Shut down after shut down showed no improvements.

hello and welcome to the forum,

if you cannot open task manager and reboot does not fix the problem
then what does that have to do with rclone?

best not to do a windows update.

if the current system is in such an unstable state and not working reliably, installing a massive windows update could further corrupt the system.
all the more so if there is a hardware issue like a corrupted hard drive or defective memory chips.

the steps would be to perform

• examine at the s.m.a.r.t statistics for the hard drive.
  • a memory check using a boot disc or the bios diagnostics.
  • chkdsk the drive

this assumes you already have some kind of bare-metal recovery backup image.

If Windows Explorer freezes randomly on your system, an outdated or faulty graphics driver may cause the issue. However, other factors like corrupted system files, viruses, and applications that eat up your system resources should also be considered when addressing this issue. You can follow the steps mentioned in this guide to solve the issue.

I have been experiencing a problem with Windows Explorer freezing. It ONLY occurs when I start an rclone sync. The machine is actually a new Google Cloud VM running Windows Server 2016 and SQL Server 2016. The VM was configured with 96 vCPUs ( AMD EPYC Rome), 768 GB RAM and 5 TB of SSD storage drive, so resources should not be a problem. Plus, there was no DB activity as I was copying the 2TB backup file to set it up.

This is the command I was running. The basic config is shown below. Do you see anything that would cause a problem?

C:\rclone\rclone.exe --config C:\rclone\rclone_gcp.conf sync
--delete-during --verbose --copy-links
--buffer-size=256M --transfers 5 --checkers 4
--multi-thread-cutoff 200M --multi-thread-streams 10
--contimeout 60s --timeout 300s --retries 3
--low-level-retries 10 --log-file $logfile --stats 5m
filestore:\dr-sql\backup\DR-SQL filestore:\localhost\d$\backup\DR-SQL

rclone Config

[filestore]
type = local
nounc = false
copy_links = false
links = false
skip_links = false
zero_size_links = false
no_unicode_normalization = false
no_check_updated = false
one_file_system = false
case_sensitive = false
case_insensitive = false

hello and welcome to the forum,

best to start a new post and answer all the questions.