I am seeing evidence in my rclone mount logs that it is actively uploading to my cloud drive. I use a separate script to handle uploads, and I don't want the mount to do any uploading. For example, this is in my logs:
2023/04/16 11:43:24 INFO : vfs cache: cleaned: objects 7592 (was 7623) in use 14, to upload 3, uploading 4, total size 199.962Gi (was 200.865Gi)
Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.
Ok so I figured out what is causing this, but I still don't know why it's happening.
I am using mkvpropedit to fix episodes that don't have correct language metadata. I'm using the command mkvpropedit --edit track:a1 --set language=eng filename.
The files are located in the MergerFS folder, so the command does not have direct access to the rclone mount folder. But the files physically exist on Google Drive, not on the local drive.
I believe this should happen server side, without having to download and re-upload the files. However once the file is processed by mkvpropedit, I start to see the log entries in the rclone log, indicating rclone is uploading the files.
A few minutes after processing this particular file, I saw this in the logs:
2023/04/16 18:55:47 INFO : TV Shows/The Story of Diana (2017) [imdb-tt7271684] [tvdb-333114]/Season 01/The Story of Diana (2017) - S01E01 - Part One [HULU WEBDL-1080p][AAC 2.0][h264]-NTb.mkv: vfs cache: queuing for upload in 5s
2023/04/16 18:58:48 INFO : TV Shows/The Story of Diana (2017) [imdb-tt7271684] [tvdb-333114]/Season 01/The Story of Diana (2017) - S01E01 - Part One [HULU WEBDL-1080p][AAC 2.0][h264]-NTb.mkv: Copied (replaced existing)
2023/04/16 18:58:48 INFO : TV Shows/The Story of Diana (2017) [imdb-tt7271684] [tvdb-333114]/Season 01/The Story of Diana (2017) - S01E01 - Part One [HULU WEBDL-1080p][AAC 2.0][h264]-NTb.mkv: vfs cache: upload succeeded try #1
Again, mkvpropedit is only accessing via MergerFS. I'm not pointing it directly to the mount at all.
One other data point, looking on Google Drive directly, the file shows a "Last modified" time of 6:53PM. But the log entry shows that rclone uploaded it at 6:58. The earlier time seems to be more in line with the time I actually did the alteration of the file, not when it was "uploaded" by rclone.
One idea I can suggest is to add --read-only to mount in read-only mode, since you do not want the mount to do any uploading. This doesn't really solve the underlying issue, but it might at least prevent the main symptom for you.
That's the thing, I've determined that it happens when I issue the mkvpropedit command to change the metadata on the file. Since the file exists on Google Drive, I think it is just refreshing the file on the mount without copying it to the local drive.
I think that once this operation is completed, rclone sees the change in the file on the mount, and sees that as a change on the local mount folder. And proceeds to upload it.
I'm not sure if any of this makes sense, or if it is even possible. But that seems like what is happening.
Yeah I was wondering if it was even worth trying to resolve. The only issue is that it is saturating my upload, and affecting Plex streams. I have cloudplow set to monitor Plex streams and throttle uploads accordingly. But the rclone uploads are not throttling at all so when they are in operation, it makes Plex wonky.