Why Do We Use Cache and Plex Integration?

It seems my setup runs faster and doesn't crash with a simple direct mount, no cache or plex integration with the following service and rclone config.
My question is do we use plex integration and/or cache to save queries or google drive or to save recourses or both?
Am I fine to just run this simple mount?

[drive]
type = drive
client_id = xxx
client_secret = xxx
scope = drive
token = xxx

[Unit]
Description=drive
AssertPathIsDirectory=/mnt/drive
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount drive: /mnt/drive --allow-other --config=/root/.config/rclone/rclone.conf --log-file=/var/log/rclone.log
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /mnt/drive
Restart=always
RestartSec=3
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 10

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

Cache came before the update for chunked reading in vfs so that was the reason prior.

Now, the reason would be if you have a use case for keeping local files/players that open/close things repeatedly, imo.

That's just the thing, without cache or Plex integration, my videos play without bugs, skip through quicker, and resume faster after theyve been paused for a while.
Would you recommend keeping those settings and maybe just including the bits about --vfs-read-chunk-size 32M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off?
Would those settings do much for performance?

I would leave much at the default values unless you have a reason to change it.

Only thing I bump up on purpose is dir-cache and buffer-size (I have a lot of free memory and uncapped internet so I can waste some data/memory).

Makes sense
Thanks

i have 4 gigs of memory and unlimited bandwidth
what would i use for those 2?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.