Why can't I edit DOC files with vfs-cache-mode=full? (WebDAV | network-mode | Windows)

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am not able to edit DOC documents when I mount a drive unit (network-mode) with the flag vfs-cache-mode=full.
Microsoft word opens the file as "Read-Only".

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

• os/version: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 10.0.22621.1413 (x86_64)
  • os/type: windows
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.4
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

WebDAV under NextCloud.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

mount [REMOTE_NAME] Z: --vfs-cache-mode full --network-mode --log-file=c:\rclone\rclone.log --config=[PATH_TO_RCLONE_CONF_FILE]

With vfs-cache-mode=write I can edit the files, but it takes minutes for them to open, as shown in this topic:

The LOG file with the -vv parameter shows lots of private information. If needed for the issue, I can try to clean it and upload it.

Thanks a lot for reading and helping :slight_smile:

Try the recently released v1.62 - this has a couple of fixes specifically for webdav and mounts together.

Thanks for your answer @ncw.

Now it is working for me, but not in my colleagues' computers...don't know what's going on here...

I can open, and edit files with these parameters:

rclone mount [REMOTE_NAME] Z: --vfs-cache-mode full --network-mode --log-file=c:\rclone\rclone.log --config=[PATH_TO_RCLONE_CONF_FILE]

But if I do the same thing in another computer, I cannot do it.

Something to do with rights, maybe? Windows configuration...who knows!

how are you running the mount, command line, nssm, task scheduler?
what username are you running as, i am going to guess system

Thanks for your reply @asdffdsa

I am running the task with nssm with the user that logs in, with admin rights.

I found the issue! But I don't know how to solve it.
Looks like the other users cannot open the files in edit mode because those files belong to my user. They can see it as I have shared them with next cloud (edit, creating deleting, resharing and download rights are on) but they can not change them...

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks a lot.

windows user or nextcloud user?

NextCloud user.
I have shared the files through the NextCloud Web Environment with all the rights for the NextCloud user that is trying to edit those files.

perhaps try nextcloud forum

1 Like

I has to be something related to RClone configuration.

With RaiDrive, creating files and editing them works smoothly.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.