What will typically cause a buffer issue?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Some 1080p content seems to buffer

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Distributor ID:Ubuntu
Description:Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
Release:16.04
Codename:xenial
Memory: 64GB

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name"

model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

GoogleDrive for Business.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Mergerfs details:

mergerfs version: 2.28.1
FUSE library version: 2.9.7-mergerfs_2.28.0
fusermount version: 2.9.4
using FUSE kernel interface version 7.29

Mergerfs.service

[Unit]
Description=Megerfs Service
After=rclonemount.service
RequiresMountsFor=/home/plex/mnt

[Service]
Type=forking
User=plex
Group=plex
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mergerfs -o defaults,async_read=false,allow_other,category.action=all,category.create=ff /home/plex/move:/home/plex/mnt /home/plex/media
ExecStop=/home/plex/mnt
Restart=on-abort
RestartSec=5
StartLimitInterval=60s
StartLimitBurst=3

[Install]
WantedBy=rclonemount.service

rclonemount:

[Unit]
Description=RClone Service
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=notify
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount --allow-other --read-only --dir-cache-time 96h --log-level INFO --log-file /home/plex/scripts/logs/rclone.log --timeout 1h --vfs-read-chunk-size 16M --buffer-size 16M --user-agent morphyapp Googlecrypt: /home/plex/mnt
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /home/plex/mnt
Restart=on-abort
User=plex
Group=plex

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

My server is at Hetzner with 1GB in and out . I have no issues streaming when the media is local , but I do see a lot of buffering from the gdrive.

I have some users on my server, but can multiple users cause the buffer issue ? I dont have any CPU issues, also using HW transcoding with the Plex server.

I tried to start the Alien movie, and in the "background" of the Plex control panel there is a black bar getting filled up a bit fast

If you look at the screenshot - There are two streams going on now. The Castle tv show is half filled and follow the streaming from the client.

I had to restart the movie a couple of times before it actually is running without buffering.

At the moment my max streaming is 9-10 users and it seems to be at that point when the streaming starts to buffer.

Will it help to increase --transfers=N from default 4 to .. example 10?

Any recommendations to buffer settings / VFS etc ?

Morphy

So the bars mean you are transcoding and the one bar is different because it's a shorter show.

This is the setting in Plex that dicates how much to transcode:

In my opinion, the Plex for LG client is awful and the TV devices tend to have very tiny buffers on the clients and are much more sensitive.

If you are transcoding, it would have little to do with rclone as it's buffering up as you can see from the bar and you might be hitting a limit on your server in terms of streaming.

I hear you saying you get 1Gb in/out but in reality, that probably is much lower and shared on what is dedicated to you.

Hi Ani

Thanks for your fast reply as always, very much appreciated.

Actually my stream was Direct Streaming. The Castle TV show was transcoding , Chromecast.

I just tried to start up the movie again, and its filling up the bar very fast.

Have you set your Transcoding buffer on plex to 900?

I see that the standard setting is 60 on my settings. Will it have any negative impact if I change it to a higher value ( thinking of the other users which cant direct stream? )

Well its rather close to be honest when I make the speed tests :slight_smile: Also when I download a file on the server I can hit 112MiB/s .

Plex can do 3 things.

Direct Play - no bar and zero transcoding so that setting means nothing as it doesn't apply.

Direct Stream and Transcode - Both of these are impacted by the setting above and as long as you have a 'bar', it's most likely keeping up from Plex. I keep my 900, which is a 15 minute buffer. So what that means is Plex will have 15 minutes of your thing local so it really removes the whole rclone thing from the mix.

Generally, I'd say if you have a bar, the issue is between Plex Server and Plex Client. You can validate that by checking the plex logs and you can see the throttling or you can check with something like Tautulli as well as they both show good info there.

1 Like

Funny .. I tried to restart the same movies .

1st time. The movie buffers.
2nd time. The movie dont buffer.

Works every time on all 1080p movies I choose.

Will post a bug in Plex forums.. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.