What does "-DEV" mean in the version "v1.56.2-DEV"? Is this still a stable release?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I don't understand the version tag response from the rclone version command.
I have installed rclone from source and I receive the tag: v1.56.2-DEV.
But what does "-DEV" mean?
Does it mean that it is sort of a developement version? (Although from the documentation I understand that you call those "beta" versions)
So, is this a stable release? Or do I need to find and install another proper stable release? How to do that?
(I have seen tags in the forum/web that go like "v1.58.0-DEV" too. So this is common but I have not found a proper explanation.)

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.56.2-DEV
- os/version: suse 12.3 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 4.4.180-94.100-default (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.17.2
- go/linking: dynamic
- go/tags: none

DEV means someone built it and compiled it.

Official binaries are here:

Rclone downloads

Official install is here:

Install (rclone.org)

You'd really want to avoid any packaged versions with any repository as you don't know what they do to them and most are not maintained (while some are).

If you want the exact version, then you need to checkout the v1.56.2 tag and you should get the correct code.

What would the reason to build it rather than just download if you are building the identical thing?

If you are doing software development on rclone then there are quite a few reasons why (eg checking the build is reproduced or forking that version for a patch), but if you are just using rclone then downloading a prebuilt one is best.

I meant for the more common user not doing development as I think the OP was asking in that realm.

I was good for the development bit but wasn't sure of other use cases I was not thinking about.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.