What are the exact differences between "rclone check" and "rclone sync --dry-run"?

Hi there!

I'm currently using RClone to synchronize a local folder to a remote server, and to add a layer of security and ensure there isn't anything weird going on (be it caused by a bug, by me writing the wrong destination directory name or whatever), before running the actual rclone sync command I start by running the same command with the --dry-run flag.

Now, I've discovered that there is a subcommand called rclone check, which seems to display the changes between the source and the destination.

What I'd like to know is what exactly is the difference between these two?

Thanks in advance for your help!

hi,
--- rclone sync copies files from source to dest, the contents of the dest will match the source.
need to be careful, if a file in the source is deleted, then rclone will delete the corresponding file in the dest. that is why you test using --dry-run to make sure your command is correct.

rclone check, compares the files in source to the files in the dest and then prints out a report.

and off-topic, i noticed at your github,
"I also write fantasy and science fiction books on my free time"
my ebook collection, mostly sci-fi, is well over 6,000+, perhaps i have one of your books in there?

Thanks for your reply, but that doesn't answer my question: what is the difference between rclone check and rclone sync --dry-run? Do they actually perform the exact same checks? Or do they work differently?

Well I doubt it, I actually didn't publish one yet and I don't actually write them english (which isn't my first language) ^^
But that's the first time I see someone actually reading my GitHub's profile, that's nice :slight_smile:

Oh so it depends on the remote?

I'm using both Mega and SFTP. I'm on the latest version by the way.

rclone sync --dry-run and rclone check will give you the same information in different formats. The rclone sync --dry-run will tell you files it wants to transfer and files it wants to delete on the remote. The rclone check will tell you fills that are present locally and not remotely, and files that are present remotely and not locally. rclone check has better reporting options.

1 Like

I see, thanks for the explanation :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.