What are optimized settings for Plex integration on MacOS

Fuse just works better on Linux/Windows. You'll have much better luck on those in general.

From what I understand, DLNA servers cannot be added as library sources to Plex so I don’t think that’s gonna work (I have “users” on Plex that need me to broadcast my libraries, so I can’t just stream locally).
My mount command was pretty straightforward, with no specific flag other than a bunch of rc stuff (which by the way only returned Not Found when trying to access it but I won’t even go there).

Based on @Animosity022 ‘s comment, i think I’m going to permanently give up for as long as I’m hosting Plex on MacOS.

Thank you all for the effort to help anyway!

I'm not trying to be a downer on MacOS as I use it and love it, but it's more about the right tool for the right job type scenario.

MacOS just got rid of the old fuse that used to work pretty well, had a large update with Big Sur which further changed how things work under the hood and seem to make some new challenges.

I think they can be worked through but with any big changes, they require time/testing and folks that actively want to use maintain it.

From what I've seen, the MacOS base is pretty small and almost non existent (or they don't post a lot). If you really want to use Plex and Cloud Storage, you'd have (this is my opinion) the best luck with Linux as that's tried and true.

That's really the message I was trying to convey. as things can be fixed/adjusted/etc.

It just takes time.

true, but i use dlna with vlc to stream from my media server. i do not the media client.

or use a cheap raspberry pi for rclone mount + plex server.

Yup, makes total sense.

And I did notice some inconstancies pointing to changes in Fuse as I was trying to install it but historical posts for the errors I was seeing were pretty sparse.

I haven’t (at the moment) planned on getting a PC to host Plex or using a VM but repeating this attempt will probably be the first thing I’ll do if I ever do.

To @asdffdsa ’s suggestion, would you guys believe a Pi would have enough power to handle the mount and server? I have no issue with getting it set up but I’m a bit doubtful based on the HW limitations (especially to stream 4K or at least transcode it if bandwidth is insufficient, which was one of the main reasons I wanted to make this move)

seems to me,
if that file is in the cloud and you want to transcode it, then plex still has to download it and then transcode it.

@Animosity022 would know better

4K is pretty hefty to transcode so you need some hardware to handle a few streams of that.

The goal with 4K is usually to not transcode and just grab material lower quality.

If you have to transcode it, you'd probably want something beefy that can do hardware transcoding.

I use and see a lot of use of NVidia cards:

Could do that yeah...

A friend also suggested trying to install a Linux partition on my Mac, which would maybe solve this, I might give it a go.

In any case, I think the answer to the original question is pretty clear at this present moment in time.

i was asking you about this?

to transcode a file to a lower quality does not save bandwidth, as that file needs to be downloaded a full quaility and then transcode it locally

Right, to transcode something you need the full file to transcode it. There is no --magic for transcoding either :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.