--vfs-cache-mode writes not deleting cache folders after upload

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

--vfs-cache-mode writes is not deleting cache folders after uploading to remote. It's deleting the files that are inside those folders in cache, but not the folders itself. I have to delete them by hand.

The upload to remote seems correct (folders and files have been uploaded fine).

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

QTS: (QNAP NAS Linux 64 bits)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Here's my mount line:

rclone mount crypt:Downloads /share/Public/Rclonedrives/Downloads  --allow-other --bwlimit 8M --dir-cache-time 1000h --umask 002 --vfs-cache-mode writes --vfs-cache-max-age 0h0m0s --cache-dir /share/homes/admin/Downloads/cacherclone --log-level INFO --log-file /share/Download/rclonelog --poll-interval 15s --user-agent mycrypt --rc-addr=localhost:5579 &

As I understand after the upload to remote, files and folders should be removed because --vfs-cache-max-age 0h0m0s deletes them when they are not in use but the rclone upload.

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

No need, It's a problem with the local cache.

A log from the command with the -vv flag

folder1/folder1.zip: vfs cache: removed cache file as Removing old cache file not in use
2020/12/16 13:00:05 INFO  : vfs cache RemoveNotInUse (maxAge=0, emptyOnly=false): item folder1/folder1.zip was removed, freed 538323561 bytes
2020/12/16 13:00:05 INFO  : vfs cache: cleaned: objects 0 (was 1) in use 0, to upload 0, uploading 0, total size 0 (was 513.385M)
2020/12/16 13:01:05 INFO  : vfs cache: cleaned: objects 0 (was 0) in use 0, to upload 0, uploading 0, total size 0 (was 0)

Thank you very much in advance for all your time and efforts!

Based on the log you shared, it removed 1 object and cleaned it.

Can you share a debug log and what the ls on the cache area looks like?

I think 0 seconds would be fine, but I'd probably make it something not zero if it was me like 1 seconds or something. It polls every minute anyway so you aren't gaining anything by 0 seconds.

1 Like

Currently the VFS cache will only delete empty directories when it is restarted. This isn't usually a problem since empty directories don't take up much disk space.

Oh!! thank you both!! I think it didn't work like that in previous versions but I might be wrong. Well is not a big problem but is good to know there is no mistake on my part. :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.