Very slow over ssh

I'm using rclone over ssh to make a crypted remote folder available on a machine. The folder contains a git repo:

The data is stored encrypted in Machine B, which I don't trust (much).

In Machine A, I create an sftp remote for Machine B, and a crypt remote for the specific folder in Machine B.

I can access data, and reading is ok-ish, but when I mount the folder in Machine A and try to git push to it, or run git status directly in it, it is painfully slow. Ks can take minutes to transfer.

Is there a way to make this faster?

hello and welcome to the forum,

when you posted, you were asked for information, so we can help you.....

What information?

STOP and READ:
Please show the effort you've put in to solving the problem and please be specific -- people are volunteering their time to help you! Low effort posts are not likely to get good answers! DO NOT REDACT any information except passwords/keys/personal info. You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable. Or use a service such as https://pastebin.com or https://gist.github.com/

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

Git is pretty much the worst case for mount being lots of small files frequently accessed. I would try using --vfs-cache-mode full which should help a lot.

Thanks! I just tried that and I just can't run git status. It takes too long (hours).

Try running rclone md5sum --transfers 8 /path/to/.git first - that will download all the git files and get them in the cache.

Git is quite sensitive to file system latency I think as it does lots of operations. If you put an ssh connection in there then the latency will go up from a few uS to 1 or 10 mS which you really notice when there are lots of files.

How many files are there in your .git dir?

About 4000 files.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.