Use Rclone+Plex on slow connections

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

It's not a problem, I'd like to know if there are any mounting options defined or documented for slow connections (=<100mps) to help Plex to play BDRemux 1080p and 4K files without stuck every "X" minutes to fill the buffer.
I've got a 100mbps Internet connection and 1GB LAN and I can play BDRip 1080p and 1080p x265 videos, but with BDRemux (30 or 40gb size) and 4K the video stops because it runs out of buffer.

I've put 1GB buffer-size and I realize the TV shows are getting much more buffer, but with a BDRemux or 4K the buffer stills "seems non-existent" and the movie stops every three or four minutes (4K stops constantly from minute 1). I understand maybe my NAS is not able to play or transcode 4K, but I think BDRemux would be possible.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Linux, 64 bit. (QNAP TVS-EC1080)
Intel Xeon E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz (4 cores 8 subprocesses)
32GB RAM

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive.

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount -v drivecrypt: /share/Public/Rclonedrives/drivecrypt --config=/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/rclone/.config/rclone/rclone.conf --allow-other --buffer-size 1G --dir-cache-time 72h --drive-chunk-size 256M --umask 002 --rc-addr=localhost:5574&

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[drive]
type = drive
client_id = hidden
client_secret = hidden
scope = drive
token = {"access_token":"ya29.a0Ae4lvC3OHgRLah4_QSvqKKZg5NnE57324LjK05SFZMFlm_R0RvCYeatZ7q3YXqSYUuky22aJQBT3dcO9Ap58zQo64EwegdURVE3I_ZpjXMpFUkY6nxWHwUQOUdEmvAfa1bk_-QxNuP_92aeuE_XyIBrwcIW4Efd6csYWHQ","token_type":"Bearer","refresh_token>
root_folder_id = 0AM1AU7J0I9GRUk9PVA

[drivecrypt]
type = crypt
remote = drive:cyptfolder
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = hidden
password2 = hidden

You'd want to check if it is direct playing or transcoding to see if that is the bottleneck.

1 Like

Thank you @Animosity022 , tried both (with the Plex option to direct play inside the same LAN and without it) and both stuck on my LAN. :roll_eyes:
Transcoding to external connections seems to have the same problem.

The backup I'm doing in the background from Google Drive to Google Drive (rclone sync) It's the only download/upload traffic I have in addition to Plex. Maybe the problem comes from here?

If you are exhausting your bandwidth and trying to play things that can't fit in, it would definitely cause buffering and there really isn't much magic to fix that other than upgrading internet or grabbing lower bitrate items.

If you are having no issues with the lower bitrates, it does sound like you are hitting a capacity limit.

1 Like

Thank you again, seems like It's time to upgrade my Internet connection!
You know if rclone sync uses a high % of the Internet traffic? I thought it just copy between Google Drives without intensively use my Internet connection.

Rclone is pretty effective at being fast and can easily bog down your connection.

You can use --bwlimit to reduce the traffic on syncs and copies if that is a requirement for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.