"Unlimited" alternatives to Google Drive, what are the options?

How is the speed of Box with chunking vs DropBox for watching and indexing media? How is Box with giving space since we're seeing that DropBox is now reluctantly adding space?

1 Like

Is LayerOne different from LayerOnline? I see LayerOne all of a sudden in this thread

I don't know I don't use them anymore I have my own account with dropbox now

REDACTED: Okay, sorry to be so uncertain, but I'm very much so over the storage limit, if you won't be able to raise it sufficiently. Then I'd have to try migrating to some other service like dropbox. blah blah
blah blah blah
blah
Google Workspace Support, Joy: Not to worry, as you are on enterprise plan you will get the storage as per your subscription.

Google Workspace Support, Joy: We will go ahead and incerase your account storage.

TLDR I am certain joy is just mistaken, and I will run into the same problem as you, but well, I don't know how else I could've phrased the question :frowning:

Well you never know :wink:

Let me know if they do give you any more. (and how much you get)

I spoke with someone again today. Their english was FAR WORSE than Joy's. It was pointless to type anything at all to them. They said they'd email me back in 24hours.

The thing none of them seem to understand is that on monday I open the dropbox account and they'll lose me forever. (I haven't said this explicitly because I don't want to be rude.) If that's what they want, fine, but they're pretending like they love me, and they just can't comprehend a word I am saying.

Do you have a tip for getting someone who speaks english? I am thinking maybe between 9am and 5pm on monday it will be normal business hours and maybe I can request someone who speaks english as their primary language? Or heck, maybe google doesn't even have any support staff who speak english as a primary language?

How do other people even contact support?

I click help, faff about clicking on nonsense the help assistant gives me, then eventually it offers to open a live chat with a human and I accept that.

The main reason I love google drive so much is just that I've been using it for years, and I literally have to press like 2or3 keyboard buttons per day and rclone magically does all my work for me forever. Dropbox should work just as well, roughly, vaguely, I suppose, but I have to faff about with my real life time to set everything up all over again (as well as setting up the VPS and staring at the VPS to ensure it's working.)

TLDR: blim5001 how did you contact google support? was it the same method I used?

EDIT: I was told to wait 24hours for an email reply, after 24hours the case was marked solved, but they didn't even contact me or send me an email at all..... oof. I wish they'd just tell me (we don't value you anymore please go away.)

Sorry, I don't have any tips to find anyone helpful. I had pretty much the same problems.

Support had a complete lack of understanding and a failure to actually read/understand anything that I said...

You should be able to see your support requests here: Customer Care-Portal

In the end I used this to escalate one of my tickets and eventually got a call back from someone who had a reasonable grasp of english.

But you can access the stuff you already have there, right? As in, read old stuff OK, write new stuff blocked?

I'd assume "LayerOne" it's typo / auto-miscorrector thing, and that "LayerOnline" is what was meant.

AFAICS sync.com is not supported by rclone, and likely never will be: Request for sync.com storage backend · Issue #5915 · rclone/rclone · GitHub

This really doesn't bode well for dropbox.com :frowning:

we now are looking at the last viable options, which are OneDrive for Business or Box.com

Microsoft isn't going to see a single cent from me, ever -- but Box.com looks ok, and at $15/user/month with 3 users minimum, it's even less expensive than Dropbox.

So, has you @mvjunkie progressed in your evaluation of Box.com? Does anyone here have any experiences with them?

Just heard about this: Business Pricing Plans for File Sharing and Governance Platform | Egnyte

They quote $20/user/month (and I can't see a minimum number of users) for their "Business" plan, with "Storage included: Custom" (whatever that means), and it seems supported by rclone via the FTP/SFTP backend: Add egnyte backend support to Rclone - #3 by asdffdsa

Does anyone here have experience with them?

3 Dropbox Advanced Accounts got bumped to 100TB within the first few weeks and now I’m waiting for them to add more storage :confused:

Google Workspace Enterprise Standard with 5 users got bumped from the 25TB to 50TB and I was told that every 3 months I can get an extra 5TB per user.

I got 130TB, in my Gworspace but I’m not sure if it is better to just temporarily store stuff on Dropbox until slowly storage is increased or if I should stick with Dropbox and how they’ll add more storage.

Alternatively Box.com seems okay but I have no experience with it and the business plans have 15GB or 50GB file size limits which would not work for some of my files but maybe it’s worth the hassle to replace files larger than 50GB. Does anyone have any experience with Box.com? Do they immediately provide unlimited storage or do we have to ask there as well like with Dropbox and Google?

No experience with them but rclone's chunker remote is supposed to handle this by transparently splitting larger files into smaller ones before sending them to the backend, and then transparently reassembling then when they're accessed.

Also interested in learning that.

I thought that, but more than one person used LayerOne so wasn't 100% sure on that lol

Anyone out there able to grok onedrive's *details?

• [*] Unlimited individual cloud storage for qualifying plans for subscriptions of five or more users, otherwise 1 TB per user. Microsoft will initially provide 1 TB per user of OneDrive for Business storage, which admins can increase to 5 TB per user. Request additional storage by contacting Microsoft support. Storage up to 25 TB per user is provisioned in OneDrive for Business. Beyond 25 TB, storage is provisioned as 25 TB SharePoint team sites to individual users.

Although 125TB storage for 50$ a month as a maximum is either bad or good depending. Since google/dropbox may or may not ever be interested increasing your cap past that. TLDR: I don't know if them spelling out these "limits" is good or bad :stuck_out_tongue:

Also box.com's api limit's per month probably just rule it out entirely for most of us :frowning:

That is very good to know!

Anyone have experience with pCloud?

there is 1fichier.com, it costs 30€/year for unlimited storage in hot storage, then if your file has not been downloaded within 60 days it will go to cold storage and you only have 2to in cold storage, I'm in the process to see to make a script allowing to download a mini part of the file to just update the date and put all my files in hot storage

https://1fichier.com/console/abo.pl

2 Likes

ZDNet: The other shoe finally dropped on my Google Enterprise cloud storage plan.

Apparently Google gives special treatment to your Drive space allocation requests if you write about it for a large website...

I dont, but seeing as im also in the market for a unlimited storage provider i found pcloud aswell.. this is in their FAQ:

What is meant by Unlimited storage?
Unlimited storage in Business Pro plan is the amount of storage that you need for you and your team. Initially, you will get 2 TB per each user. You can request additional storage when needed by contacting our sales team at sales@pcloud.com

Please note that the Business Pro plan is suitable for syncing files and shares, not for large backup processes. pCloud does not limit the number or size of the files, nor the upload and download speed.
Note: Unlimited storage is unlocked at the end of the free trial period.

hence its not viable for my needs