Union - how do you know which file belongs to which remote?

I want to try rclone's union, but how do you know which file belongs to which remote? Is it possible to long list it along other properties with ls -lah?

It would be tricky as depending on union action policies file can be on one or more remotes belonging to union.

You can also always check directly on member remotes what is where.

Sorry, I must have missed that. Are you saying that rclone union can merge contents of a single file from multiple remotes? I assumed that it only merges like "one file = one remote":

remote1:
*dir/
**file1
**file2
remote2:
*dir/
**file3
**file4

union:
*dir/
**file1
**file2
**file3
**file4

so you could do something like ls -l dir:
remote1 file1
remote1 file2
remote2 file3
remote2 file4

Rclone combine does something different I think - in the docs example it seems to put files in separate directories instead of a single folder.

All depends how you define policies - you can use union to make more space by combining different remotes but you can also use it to have mirroring like solution where the same file is stored on all remotes.

Oh I see, mirroring them makes sense. It would be really useful if rclone could list this information in some way though. While you could check it on the remotes themselves it would be much more powerful I think if there was some way to print:

file1 - remote1
file2 - remote1 remote2 (mirror)
file3 - remote2

For example when remote1 may be your local SSD disk and remote2 in the cloud.

What if I use remote1,remote2<----union<---crypt<---chunker ?

should it show remotes when listing files in chunker? or only when listing in union?

Hmm I assume that just showing crypt in that case would be enough - or maybe have an option/flag that allows you to break it down:

file1 - remote1
file2 - remote2( crypt( chunker( remote3, remote 4 ) ) )

but that may be an overkill (I assume that you can get infromation which remotes are encrypted or enchunked from rclone.conf). Please let me know if misunderstood it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.