UNC Path After Mounting?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'd like to use rclone to mount Onedrive for Iperius Backup. Although it has the option, Iperius isn't liking using a drive letter but seems to prefer a UNC path. After mounting with rclone, is there a UNC path that can be accessed directly as well?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Yes

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Onedrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

N/A

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

N/A

A log from the command with the -vv flag

N/A

hello and welcome,

Iperius, like most any app, should not have a problem with rclone mount using a drive letter
most likely an issue on your setup.

as you did not use answer the questions, or define what Iperius isn't liking means, hard to share a good answer

might try --network-mode

There isn't much to show:

Retrieving volume information...
This will back up System Reserved(Z:),(C:) to Y:.
ERROR - The specified backup location could not be found or is not a
supported backup storage location.

As to the original question, does anyone know if a direct UNC path is possible?

maybe you missed it but i shared it up above.
did that not work for you?

i have no issue using Iperius and rclone mount using a drive letter.

Thanks for the message back again. No luck with network mode for me. This is my full mount command:

"C:\Program Files\rclone\rclone.exe" mount remote: Y: --network-mode --vfs-cache-mode writes

Do you see any issues with it?

as shown, Iperius works with rclone.

as i mentioned, when you posted there was template of questions, without those answers very hard to help you.

I figured out the difference between your test and what I'm trying to accomplish. You chose file backup, I'm doing a Windows Drive Image backup. I did figure out how to set up a UNC path (--volname flag). it errored with that as well with:

A backup cannot be done to a remote shared folder which is not hosted on a volume formatted with NTFS/ReFS.

Backing up to a drive letter I get:

The backup cannot be completed because the backup storage destination is a shared folder mapped to a drive letter. Use the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path (\servername\sharename) of the backup storage destination instead.

It's looking like rclone isn't going to work but if anyone has a suggestion on how to make the UNC path look like an NFTS formatted drive please let me know!

yesterday, i was able to test file backup and iperious drive image, but i did not test WINDOWS DRIVE IMAGE

just curious, why try to use a rclone mount as the dest for a bare metal backup image?
what advantage do you get?

in days long ago, i thought the same and in the end, never found a workable use-case.
if you have found one, please share

I'll need to add more storage if I have to save the backup directly on the server and then copy over to Onedrive vs. writing there directly.

with a complex process such as bare metal backup, with rclone mount, writing direct to onedrive is not possible.
sorry, there is no --magic rclone flag to work around that.

let's say iperious will create a 100GB backup.
rclone will have to save the entire 100GB iperious backup data, to rclone's vfs file cache on local storage.
after iperious finishes the full backup, only then will rclone start to move the 100GB of data to onedrive.
you will still need 100GB of additional temp storage.

and there is the potential nightmare of incremental backups, oh the horror of it all.
insert terrified emoji here.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.